real time web analytics
Report - - St Josephs Orphanage (again), Preston May 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Josephs Orphanage (again), Preston May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

urblex

28DL Maverick
28DL Full Member
Went back during daylight to get a better explore & spent at least 4 hours there, returned a week later with ACID-REFLUX & was there for at least 6 hours (good to meet you mate & thanks for putting up with my lousy directions etc :rolleyes:), only regret is not taking a sketchbook along this place has some amazing views. Sad to see all the things that had been smashed since the week before. Been again twice at night with my mate & dad (typical, been badgering both of them to come exploring with me for ages but as soon as they see some pics they decide they want to go). Only got to see part of the nursing home/orphanage part as the way in is completely bricked up from inside, got in on my very first visit last year but ran away like a little girl. Sorry the quality isn't great need to get a better camera but hey i'm an artist not a photographer ;)

IMG_1329-001_zpsb7f8677d.jpg

History,
Mr.R.W.Hughes, of Preston, was the architect of the building. It started off as a roman catholic orphanage for girls in 1872 and could accommodate up to 50 orphans. During the 1950's some of the children weren't orphans and parents could pay for them to be there as a sort of boarding school. Apparently orphans weren't treated very well here and some would even like the building to be demolished, however children whose parents had paid for them to be there recall being treated well... In 1877 St Josephs Institute for the Sick & Poor was built on Mount street which could accommodate about 25 patients. In 1910 Mount Street Hospital got its first operating theater and a new wing was added to the hospital in 1933. Another wing was opened in 1958 by Princess Marina the Duchess of Kent. It was used in WW1 to house wounded British and Belgian soldiers, it was also used in WW2 to care for Dutch and Belgian sailors. The hospital closed altogether in 1986. The nuns who ran the orphanage were originally Dutch and called the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of Mercy, founded in the Netherlands by the Rev. Johannes Zwijsen, pastor of Tilburg, for the instruction of children and the betterment of people deprived of spiritual aid. They are still going today and according to their website had 569 sisters at the start of the year.
Just found out my friend's mum was born in the hospital part & apparently my uncle's friend used to be a nurse there.

The bit we couldn't get into :confused
IMAG0035_zpse7615dea.jpg
IMAG0032_zpse65ffdae.jpg
IMAG0033_zps80e61134.jpg

IMAG0019-002_zpsf97011e2.jpg

not a great photo but this was my favorite corridor
IMAG0127_zps6c598f5a.jpg

IMG_0452_zps997feeb5.jpg

IMG_0455_zpsa7ccd411.jpg

IMAG0123_zpsce865307.jpg

IMAG0194_zps4df43295.jpg

DSCF0155_zps4780672b.jpg

IMG_1379_zps546c46d9.jpg

IMG_1434_zps2bc984e6.jpg

IMG_1458_zpsc640cc2c.jpg

IMG_1454_zps728266c1.jpg

IMG_1352-001_zps2c0fa8c5.jpg

IMG_0101_zps30f22388.jpg

Last edited:

Ferox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report bud :thumb Yeah the corridor looks good, was it flooded? Whitty pictures will be up today.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones mate :):thumb

Good to meet you even though you know less about Preston than I do living an hour and a half away lol

You deffo' deserve a plaque on the wall for all the visitations you've made here recently :) and thanks for the tour.

Was fun time running round counting old mattresses and finding you soft toys :) until the windows started smashing, you're face was a picture mate :) nearly as bad as when jumping the rotten void lol

You'll be fine once those gear issues are sorted out as you're severely restricted ATM too say the least. Hope I left you with a few tips anyway ?

Add a few of those pics I sent you into the report mix it up a little :)

scrappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
well done mate, the bit you cant get into aint worth it in my opinion, there aint anything of interest in there. its just empty rooms, the best bit is you can look at the old gothic look buildings from that side. i love this site, been so many times i cant even begin to count.

urblex

28DL Maverick
28DL Full Member
Nice ones mate :):thumb

Good to meet you even though you know less about Preston than I do living an hour and a half away lol

You deffo' deserve a plaque on the wall for all the visitations you've made here recently :) and thanks for the tour.

Was fun time running round counting old mattresses and finding you soft toys :) until the windows started smashing, you're face was a picture mate :) nearly as bad as when jumping the rotten void lol

You'll be fine once those gear issues are sorted out as you're severely restricted ATM too say the least. Hope I left you with a few tips anyway ?

Add a few of those pics I sent you into the report mix it up a little :)

yeah you did leave me with some good tips thanks mate, was gonna add some of those pics but paranoid about my face still being part visible, probably will do anyway they are good! How did the one with the dress turn out??? get your ones up mate bet you got some well better pics...