real time web analytics
Report - - St Joseph's Orphanage, Preston - April 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Joseph's Orphanage, Preston - April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
St Joseph’s Orphanage

Visited with Bigjobs, Paradox, Scrappy, Katia, Paul2129, Albino-jay and two of his mates – most of whom had handily been before and knew their way around. It was a great day with great weather and great company that I’d happily explore with again.

Paradox has already covered this in her extremely comprehensive and readable report so I’ve tried to cover it slightly differently. Inevitably much of what follows will be similar though…

This site is like a maze and has been added to over the years, but the original orphanage was endowed by Mrs Maria Holland in 1872 for the benefit of Roman Catholic girls. The building was designed by Preston’s own Mr RW Hughes, and constructed on the site of a former brewery in the Victorian Gothic style from red bricks, with blue brick and sandstone detailing, and Welsh blue slate on the roof. The Dutch Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of Mercy ran the orphanage, which initially housed around 50 people.

plaque_zpsac828dab.jpg

To the East, and added five years later, is the St Joseph’s Institute for the Sick Poor which offered accommodation for another 25 people. Both of these buildings are listed and are currently planned for conversion into residential accommodation as part of the Winckley Square conservation scheme.

Mrs Holland died in 1878, with much of her estate being used as a permanent endowment for the orphanage.

Mount Street Hospital as it became known gained its first operating theatre in 1910, while new wings were added in 1933, and again in 1955. These additions complicate the layout of the site which has two courtyards, one hidden from street views: As you can see below, the left hand chapel is part of the orphanage, while the right hand hospital wing is due for demolition as part of the redevelopment scheme.

Rooftops_zps4c39894c.jpg

There are many interesting features on an exterior that looks like it needs a lot of work:

Statue_zps14f7db47.jpg

During the Great War the hospital cared for wounded English and Belgian soldiers, with Dutch and Belgian sailors benefiting from its services in world War Two.

The hospital closed in 1986, two years before English Heritage noted the importance of the orphanage on social history when listing it in 1988. For a while, the rest of the site operated as an old peoples’ home, before closing for good in 2003. The 1933 hospital wing has remained unused since 1986 however and is only listed in relation to its link with the Victorian original buildings. For that reason it is permissible to allow its demolition and the redevelopment of that part of the site. The 1955 addition being more hidden is to be retained and converted into apartments – rather surprisingly given its bland and characterless construction.

Pictures… A few from the nursing home wing for starters:

Door_zps2666c6d0.jpg

Stairwindow_zpsd633b664.jpg
Window_zps14889b76.jpg

The chapel is in pretty good condition, all things considered:

chapel_zpse09e6cf5.jpg

Josephglass_zps53bddb99.jpg

Mezzanine_zpsaae86451.jpg

Jesus_zpsf8912529.jpg

openwindow_zps47b812d0.jpg

Paper_zpsd7557a3c.jpg

brokenwindow_zps06146e0d.jpg

StainedGlass_zps64050ef2.jpg

The operating theatres were next to see, in the hospital wing:

Lamp_zpsf6bb319f.jpg

Theatreroom_zps8e664f24.jpg

steel_zpsd1f195a3.jpg

Theatre_zps5a569344.jpg

Lamplong_zps9c1654f6.jpg
Corridor_zpse0629627.jpg

I’m not sure what the number 246 signifies but it appeared all around the site in various wings and guises:

246_zpscaa2a9f4.jpg

Taps_zps336c2219.jpg

One from the top of the Institute...

Stairs_zps10b1bfe0.jpg

Wheelchair_zpsa915326c.jpg

Consultants_zps10190542.jpg

Chairs_zps7323de2b.jpg

Bandit_zps24bacb88.jpg

Lift_zps0ac168a7.jpg

Liftinside_zpse62145fc.jpg

So there you have St Joseph’s – first stop of the Preston meet. The second stop was Miley Tunnel, which was rather uninspiring until the wire wool came out…

Miley_zps4124ac82.jpg

I’ll be back with part two of the meet once I’ve processed the pictures. In the meantime, thanks for looking…:)

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Some really nice pics, you have a real eye for composition, something I really lack :D

Anyway good to see this place again, props to Jobs for sorting this out :)

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice :) You got some proper lovely shots there Idle Hands, I like the write up too :)

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
This is the calibre of stuff I enjoy scrolling through, sorry to harp on but I do like these pics :thumb

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
Awesome shots, like really awesome shots.

These are the kind of shots that should be full member shots.

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated :thumb It was a cracking day out, really enjoyed it :D

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have to fully agree with Ojay, these are some of the best shots from this place.

ravenblakh

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Seriously stunning shots here! :D Really enjoyed the ones of the operating theatre and the church, amazing to see something left in such a good state!