real time web analytics
Report - - St. Joseph's Orphanage, Preston - June 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Joseph's Orphanage, Preston - June 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Had a wander around here on my way back home after a weekend up in York. Like many, I had wanted to see this place for years and after the slab popped up I made the long detour to Preston before heading back to Sussex. Trashed as hell but still worth a few pics.

History:

St Joseph's Orphanage was designed by architect R.W Hughes in the style of gothic architecture, which was typical of that particular era. The construction work was endowed by Maria Holland, a wealthy widow, who contributed a sum of 10,000 to achieve this. She wanted to care for the sick, at a time when Preston had the highest mortality rate in the UK. This was predominately due to inadequate housing and the poor working conditions in the local mills and factories. The orphanage was first officially opened in the September of 1872 and five years later it became St Joseph's Institute for the Sick & Poor. The hospital accommodated for around 25 patients and was run by the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of Mercy. Voluntary contributions funded the maintenance and general upkeep of the hospital and it was also the first provider of welfare to Roman Catholic girls in Preston.

In 1910 the hospital was granted its first operating theatre, as well as the chapel being built that same year. By 1933 a new wing was added and another in 1958 which was officiated by Princess Marina, the Duchess of Kent. During both world wars it served as a military hospital to treat wounded British and Dutch soldiers. One of St Joe's most famous patients was performer George Formby who died of a heart attack at the hospital in 1961. The hospital eventually closed its doors in 1982. It was then bought by its current owner who converted it into a care home until 2003. A year later in 2004, plans were proposed to convert the building into 82 flats with a grant of £2m but the redevelopment never seemed to happen. Presently 3 sections of the site are still classified as grade II listed and the building was recently featured on the Victorian Society's 'top most at risk historic buildings in the UK.'

raBmYKSh.jpg

Liea5nDh.jpg

mVGKjeXh.jpg

uoPZTbUh.jpg

IrJEw7Gh.jpg

hHttvLfh.jpg

oC5uvBMh.jpg

zleyD6Mh.jpg

GW1kSEGh.jpg

6LNO3kQh.jpg

yuiXNUuh.jpg

V1bQpwih.jpg

wg5mazMh.jpg

HtzN1zFh.jpg

2bW7Xfwh.jpg

kNzxASPh.jpg

4aC0sylh.jpg

LpHVR0ph.jpg

drjjufFh.jpg

UOWEAt4h.jpg

Thanks for looking!

UrbandonedTeam

the north
Regular User
Great pics Brewtal. While nearby I had a quick look at this and there is now security or someone sleeping in a caravan in the central courtyard. As soon as he saw me looking he asked if I want a look round, so I guess it's final chances if you still want to see it, before it gets rennovated.

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Been sold now. Secca caravan on there. It's being partly demolished for a new set of flats .. It's a 3 year project. Can't wait to see finished product

Polominto73

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Love the pictures the one of the crucifix in front of the mortuary slab is really eerie looking and also the crust stained glass window

Who has read this thread (Total: 283) View details