real time web analytics
Report - - St Joseph's Orphanage, Preston - June 2019 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Joseph's Orphanage, Preston - June 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RJMmcr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
St Joseph's Hospital was erected on Mount Street, Preston in 1877 by Mrs Maria Holland for the benefit of the sick poor. It was opened in 1879 and run by the Sisters of Charity of our Lady Mother of Mercy, who also ran St Joseph's Orphanage in Theatre street. In 1884, it opened up two rooms as accommodation for private patients, and during the First World War it provided care for wounded soldiers (often Belgians). The Hospital was later recognised as a training centre for nurses, and accepted its first trainees in 1958. The Hospital closed in the late 1980s, and is now the Mount Street Nursing Home. The Sisters of Charity are still based in Mount Street at Provincial House.

IMG_4025.jpg

I had seen previous repots of this and decided to try it whilst on a day trip to Blackpool. Although the place is super trashed and mid way through some kind of restoration there was still plenty to see.

IMG_4024.jpg

I love how nature has taken over and made the most of the smashed window

_MG_4131.jpg

its a shame all the stained glass windows have been ruined but i still loved this part which i think would of been some sort of church/prayer room
_MG_4086.jpg

whilst searching for the slab i came across this laundrette which was pretty creepy but it had some decent machinery left in there.
\
_MG_4075.jpg
_MG_4059.jpg
IMG_4064.jpg

back up to the ground floor from the basement, there were rooms full of possessions and old hospital equipment

IMG_4099.jpg

some kind of operation theatre
IMG_4102.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg

by this point it was driving me crazy because I couldn't find the morgue that i had come to see.

IMG_4123.jpg

I don't know what this is but i like the look of it, enlighten me if anyone know's
_MG_4116.jpg

the attic
IMG_4124.jpg

roof view from the attic
_MG_4037.jpg

time was ticking on and i wanted to make the most of my Blackpool trip, it was time to get out of here.

IMG_4126.jpg
IMG_4137.jpg

i cant believe i never found the morgue, maybe i was stressing because i didn't want to get caught especially being on my own...even though this place is super trashed there was still plenty to have a look at!

_MG_4046.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg

_MG_4068.jpg

_MG_4083.jpg

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report. I think the morgue table has gone it was on ground floor. It never was a morgue just a store room with a morgue table. The morgue has long gone. Glad to see it finally getting done up.

RJMmcr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report. I think the morgue table has gone it was on ground floor. It never was a morgue just a store room with a morgue table. The morgue has long gone. Glad to see it finally getting done up.

they seem to be cleaning the place up which is good. its a shame i didn't get to see that part but i'm more than happy with what i got to see. was well worth the slight detour!

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
You were very close to the morgue table looking at your pics. Like Host said it was on the ground floor.

Some great shots there. Good report!

Avvot 2019

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
St Joseph's Hospital was erected on Mount Street, Preston in 1877 by Mrs Maria Holland for the benefit of the sick poor. It was opened in 1879 and run by the Sisters of Charity of our Lady Mother of Mercy, who also ran St Joseph's Orphanage in Theatre street. In 1884, it opened up two rooms as accommodation for private patients, and during the First World War it provided care for wounded soldiers (often Belgians). The Hospital was later recognised as a training centre for nurses, and accepted its first trainees in 1958. The Hospital closed in the late 1980s, and is now the Mount Street Nursing Home. The Sisters of Charity are still based in Mount Street at Provincial House.

IMG_4025.jpg

I had seen previous repots of this and decided to try it whilst on a day trip to Blackpool. Although the place is super trashed and mid way through some kind of restoration there was still plenty to see.

IMG_4024.jpg

I love how nature has taken over and made the most of the smashed window

_MG_4131.jpg

its a shame all the stained glass windows have been ruined but i still loved this part which i think would of been some sort of church/prayer room
_MG_4086.jpg

whilst searching for the slab i came across this laundrette which was pretty creepy but it had some decent machinery left in there.
\
_MG_4075.jpg
_MG_4059.jpg
IMG_4064.jpg

back up to the ground floor from the basement, there were rooms full of possessions and old hospital equipment

IMG_4099.jpg

some kind of operation theatre
IMG_4102.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg

by this point it was driving me crazy because I couldn't find the morgue that i had come to see.

IMG_4123.jpg

I don't know what this is but i like the look of it, enlighten me if anyone know's
_MG_4116.jpg

the attic
IMG_4124.jpg

roof view from the attic
_MG_4037.jpg

time was ticking on and i wanted to make the most of my Blackpool trip, it was time to get out of here.

IMG_4126.jpg
IMG_4137.jpg

i cant believe i never found the morgue, maybe i was stressing because i didn't want to get caught especially being on my own...even though this place is super trashed there was still plenty to have a look at!

_MG_4046.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg

_MG_4068.jpg

_MG_4083.jpg
Is it still accessible

RJMmcr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You were very close to the morgue table looking at your pics. Like Host said it was on the ground floor.

Some great shots there. Good report!

its annoying because thats the thing i wanted to see the most but it was also the first time i had done this place with limited time on the day. i'm sure there will be a slab out there waiting...

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I thought they were doing something with this

Yeah, they keep saying that they are doing something with it but don't. The last thing I heard was they were planning on doing organised tours to try and stop explorers entering lol. Then they realised it would cost too much in insurance and was too sketchy so put out some bullshit thing about postponing it until they had secured the floors and upset all the locals who wanted to go and see inside.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice report, impressive building, 152 yr old and the brickwork still holding on mostly, even in the decaying state. Like this

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I thought they were doing something with this

Planning was applied for last month - Link - Convert the chapel to apartments and demo the rest to make room for 3 new apartment buildings, 10 town houses (total 67 units) with some private gardens, basement car parking and a public square.

black olive

28DL Member
28DL Member
the thing you are enquiring as to what it is is/was an x ray machine. the base unit is a high voltage power supply ( kilovolts) and the head is to the right on the end of the arm with a tick power supply cable running to it

Who has read this thread (Total: 554) View details