real time web analytics
Report - - St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church - Wigan, Lancashire - June 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church - Wigan, Lancashire - June 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
We had some time and this place is very close to us so we decided to re-visit with our camera's. The first time we explored this place was a few years ago with only our phone camera's so have never posted the results of that explore. Always wanted to go back with a decent camera and finally got round to it.

History - In October 1870, Father Henry J Lamon was appointed head of the new mission that would soon become the Parish of St. Joseph, Wigan. The first service was held on 22nd January, 1871, in a small chapel that formerly belonged to the Primitive Methodist Body, in Caroline Street, but in a very short time the building was found to be too small for the increasing numbers of Catholics living in the surrounding Wallgate area.
Consequently, with the permission of the Right Reverend Doctor O'Reilly, Bishop of Liverpool, Father Lamon purchased some adjoining land to the chapel, at a cost of £500. The old Methodist chapel was then pulled down, and on the site was erected the first church of St. Joseph, which opened in April 1872. This new church was built to accommodate between 500 and 600 worshippers at a cost of £3,000.
It soon became evident that the new church was totally inadequate for the requirements of the district, and steps were taken without delay for the erection of a larger building.
More land adjacent to the church was purchased, and the old premises were removed to make room for the building of a second new church.
The new St. Joseph's Church building was designed by Mr. Goldie, of the firm of Messrs. Goldie and Child, of Kensington, London. In 1877, the foundation stone was laid and blessed by the Right Rev. Dr. O'Reilly, and, together, with the adjoining Presbytery for the accommodation of three priests, the church was completed in 1878 and opened on Sunday, 30th June of that year. The church catered for the large numbers of mill workers living in the area. it was a densely-populated parish, but in 1964 housing developments meant that it was absorbed into St. Jude's Parish and became a Mass Centre. The demolition of houses meant that the Chapel became isolated and eventually surrounded only by shops, supermarkets, small businesses and light industry. The church was finally closed in 1995. We've included some pictures of the church before it's closure below.

The high altar.

The rear of the church and the choir loft.

Side altar to St Joseph.

Confessional.

The Explore - As stated above this is the second time we've visited this place. On the first visit 5ish years ago the church was in a very bad state with evidence of drug use and rough sleeping everywhere. It seems since then the building has been cleaned and re-secured. Access is a bit of a squeeze but not difficult and aside from a carpet of pigeon crap it's relatively tidy. The building itself has a lot of interesting architecture and tons of decay.

The High Altar.

The rear of the church and the choir loft.

Confessional.

Side altar to St Joseph.

Thanks for looking.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Like seeing this place. Youve caught some extra bits Ive not seen before. There is still beauty there. :cool:

TheBackpackExplorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I seen a few videos inside here from the start of the year I think it was - needles everywhere looked horrendous - so good to see they've cleaned it up inside!. The building is beautiful!.

Anyone know what they plan to do with it?

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
I seen a few videos inside here from the start of the year I think it was - needles everywhere looked horrendous - so good to see they've cleaned it up inside!. The building is beautiful!.

Anyone know what they plan to do with it?
It used to be minging. Full of drug paraphernalia and random crap. It's in a much better state now. No idea what the plans are for it. It's up for sale currently i think along with the attached vicarage which was converted to flats but is now also abandoned due to crime/drug issues.

Who has read this thread (Total: 192) View details