Web
Analytics
Report - - St Joseph's Seminary / Jameah Islamiyah School, Mark Cross, Sussex, July 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Joseph's Seminary / Jameah Islamiyah School, Mark Cross, Sussex, July 2012



Weeble

Having a blonde moment
28DL Full Member
#1
Visited with Catullus. Our visit was cut short as the travellers who currently live on the site were in the building and we were having a tough time avoiding them, so unfortunately we missed a few bits.

History:

The building was designed by Edward Pugin and started out as St Michael’s Orphanage (which opened in 1869). The church was designed by Edward Goldie and was built in 1875. Later it became the Junior Seminary St Joseph's College (1925 to 1970) for training students for the priesthood. It was occupied after 1970 by the Legat School of Ballett & General Education who used the church as a theatre.
Since 1993 it has been owned by a Muslim charity, Jameah Islamiyah, which in 2003 turned part of the building into an independent Muslim school for boys . It was raided due to suspected terrorist activity in 2006, when it had just 9 pupils. Ofsted inspected the school and deemed it to be unsatisfactory and so the DfES closed it in February 2007, although it had no pupils at the time.

Photos:

8ac73072.jpg


5e2b85e4.jpg


3a34d49f.jpg


0770b424.jpg


0f785aac.jpg


3ce7823c.jpg


da6bdfa3.jpg


eeb9100b.jpg


a908818e.jpg


7bbca26f.jpg


4c61a55d.jpg


a2f31fc0.jpg
 

Attachments

Similar threads