real time web analytics
Report - - St. Josephs Seminary, Upholland - Jan 15 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Josephs Seminary, Upholland - Jan 15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This place is the best I have visited so far and I seem to find something new every time! On my most recent visit I think I got rather lucky having a stroll around the ground floors without the ear piercing alarm going off! can see myself revisiting this place a lot :D sorry if the fisheye is abit too much being on all the pics, they are all from my gopro :)

St Joseph's Seminary was founded in 1880 by Bishop Bernard O'Reilly
It was to be the Seminary serving the North West of England.
The college was formally opened in 1883 and was situated in Walthew Park, Upholland
(the geographic centre of the Diocese of Liverpool).

The first Junior Seminary of the Diocese was founded at St Edward's College in 1842 as a Catholic 'classical and commercial school' under the direction of the secular clergy.
It was established in Domingo House, a mansion in Everton.
Its President for the next forty years was to be Monsignor Provost John Henry Fisher.
When the Junior Seminarians moved to St Joseph's the school was taken over by the Christian Brothers..
(who ran St John Rigby College in Orrell) and continues to this day and now serves as the Liverpool Cathedral Choir School.
In recognition of the heritage owed to St Edward's College one of the two chapels at Upholland was consecrated as the St Edward the Confessor Chapel.

Along with Ushaw College (the other seminary in Northern England) scholars for priesthood studied and were ordained at the college.
Up until the second Vatican Council boys as young as 11 years of age entered the Junior Seminary before progressing to the senior Seminary at 18.

In 1972 following the changes of Vatican 2 the two junior seminaries of St Joseph's and Ushaw merged at Upholland, and in 1975, with declining numbers from Ireland offering themselves for the (now) Archdiocese of Liverpool the Senior seminary moved to Ushaw.
St Joseph's continued to offer boarding school education for boys considering a vocation until 1987.
Up to 1991, the building housed a small group of students who were still interested in a vocation to the priesthood, but rather than being schooled within the premises, they attended St John Rigby College, Orrell.
Following the end of the seminary training and boarding education St Joseph's became home to the Northern Institute and was used as a retreat and conference centre for the Archdiocese under the leadership of Msgr John Devine.
The election of Archbishop Patrick Kelly saw the controversial decision to close St Joseph's altogether and the property was sold to Anglo International who instructed AEW Architects for the conversion of the Grade 2 listed RC Seminary to 92 apartments, with 220 new build enabling units. The major controversies of the decision were the ongoing financial viability of St Joseph's (it had just started to make a small surplus under Devine's management) and the sale and disposal of the art and artefacts in the college, much of which had been donated by various parishes and people of the Archdiocese who were not offered their donations back.

15652944383_8b1a1b54e1_z.jpg

16246921816_08edd1f83a_z.jpg

16272024782_488eeb6c92_z.jpg

16086977517_142109cb7a_z.jpg

16272836125_33f67063ef_z.jpg

16085469230_718acb302e_z.jpg

16085304088_d424f26ea7_z.jpg

15650413414_ea71aa4c38_z.jpg

16086707639_cdd4862941_z.jpg

16086967417_5dce896e88_z.jpg

16085460770_517a1e875d_z.jpg

16271031201_5f8beb5e59_z.jpg

16085291868_11902e8f9a_z.jpg

16246899976_1198cd7cb1_z.jpg

Thanks for looking :) :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones (considering :) mate :thumb

Bit on the small side though ?

Not too bad the old Go-pro Fisheye....sometimes

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I cant stand fisheye photos, but these are actually very nice!

Good work indeed :thumb

urblex

28DL Maverick
28DL Full Member
Nice one, heard that the 1st floor is a bastard for alarms, not a fan of the fisheye myself but quite like some of these pics :thumb

BlazinHawk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Its awesome you got to do the ground floor without your ears bleeding,Mr Nice Secca and his hound forgot to set alarm,not normally a fan of fish eye but it suits your shots well. Cracking job dude

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Think it might have been turned off due to the wind setting it off all day!

Lavino

28DL Full Member
I was in there the same day as you .. I did get inside the building wernt in long tho on way out got nabbed by three guys in a white transit pick up lol

Lavino

28DL Full Member
I wasn't in that long to be honest as I went in alone and didn't want to get lost as the place is huge.. But no I didnt see the cell

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No mate not the one with the bed in there but seen some rooms near the gym with a cell like door lent up each door!
!

oldboy64

28DL Member
28DL Member
I lived there for 7 years in the 1960s and often wish I could see it inside again, but at 64 it isn't going to happen. I think the small rooms near the gym were probably the music practise rooms at that time,very small, with secure doors to stop sound escaping. There were never cells as such - they had their own unique ways of keeping the boys in order. Love seeing the pics - those sinks were foul at 6.30 in the morning, and the stink from the urinals as 150 kids off loaded after the night is something never to be forgotten!

Lavino

28DL Full Member
I'm sure father Jacobs wouldn't mind you having a look around his living room