real time web analytics
Report - - St Joseph's seminary, Upholland - July 2019 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Joseph's seminary, Upholland - July 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RJMmcr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
last week I met two fellow explorers who were not only great guys but also knew their stuff. We ended up trying a site earlier on in the day but that came to an end, so like all good explorers they decided to have this place as a plan B. it didn't disappoint....

St Joseph’s Seminary at Upholland opened in 1883, the first phase was built to a design by James O’Bryne. Set amongst a backdrop of copse and wildwood amidst gently sloping fields, the buildings are flanked with rough-hewn stone. An upper and lower lake are separated by a gentle and soothing waterfall. The 150 acres of land the seminary is built upon had been purchased at auction in 1877. The grandeur of the chapels, meeting rooms, fixtures and fittings was unbelievable.
The seminary was closed during WW1 and reopened in 1919 along with a junior seminary. The second phase of construction commenced in 1923. The design was in a different style to the original buildings, however it was equally as grand. Landscaped gardens and sports facilities were also completed by 1927. A new chapel was added in 1930 along with 14 sub chapels. The final addition to the site was a science block.

_MG_4765.jpg

_MG_4696.jpg

_MG_4683.jpg

and after a few minutes of weighing everything up, we were in. The first thing was this industrial laundrette which was the start of an epic day of exploring this place
_MG_4713.jpg

up into the main building, were these victorian living rooms
_MG_4716.jpg

some still had the old victorian beds in.
_MG_4726.jpg

the way to the library
_MG_4731.jpg

_MG_4722.jpg

one of many epic gothic style corridors.
_MG_4770.jpg

_MG_4807.jpg

_MG_4782.jpg

the top floor living quarters which i reckon would of housed the training priests.
_MG_4786.jpg

_MG_4826.jpg

_MG_4849.jpg

a few corridors later....
_MG_4856.jpg
_MG_4872.jpg

the best part of the day....
_MG_4881.jpg
_MG_4899.jpg

this was the sign that someone, somewhere was happy to see us!

_MG_4889.jpg

_MG_4823.jpg

some kind of victorian science classroom
_MG_4740.jpg

speaking of classrooms
_MG_4947.jpg

Geography lessons?
_MG_4953.jpg

so much to see, but wee were dehydrated by this point so it was time to call it a day!
_MG_4959.jpg

I would like to thank the two other explorers for this one. you know who you are!

until next time!

_MG_4936.jpg

Corypne

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks amazing, some great photos. Looking forward to going here myself soon. it would be my first time

RJMmcr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report seems to be getting a lot of traffic at the moment.

i think its because a few people have figured it out, although secca still seems very active it's still possible.

scrappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have only just realised I was one of the guys you met up with that day lol. the shot in the church looking at the alter made me realise. great shots mate. I need to use the 50mm more I think!

Who has read this thread (Total: 143) View details