real time web analytics
Report - - St Joseph's Seminary - Upholland, Wigan (Sept 2013) | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Joseph's Seminary - Upholland, Wigan (Sept 2013)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Visited with Host - Scrappy nw and his girlfriend Katy.

I've wanted to have a poke around here for ages so happy to have finally ticked this one off, it's a maze inside trying to avoid the PIR's so thanks to Scrappy for getting us round and for having the tools to get me out of a bathroom i managed to lock myself in lol ! :D

Shame we missed the chapel but fook me that alarm is LOUD !

Saint Joseph's College was founded in 1880 by Bishop Bernard O'Reilly to be the Seminary serving the North West of England. The college was formally opened in 1883 and was situated in Walthew Park, Upholland, the geographic centre of the Diocese of Liverpool. Candidates for the priesthood studied and were ordained at the college. Up until the second Vatican Council boys as young as 11 years of age entered the Junior Seminary before progressing to the senior Seminary at 18. In 1972 following changes of policy the two junior seminaries of Saint Joseph's and Ushaw, along with the junior seminary of Saint Michael's, merged at Upholland, and in 1975, with declining numbers of men from Ireland offering themselves for the (now) Archdiocese of Liverpool the Senior seminary moved to Ushaw. In the 1980s Saint Joseph's offered boarding school education for boys considering a vocation up until 1987. From then until 1991, the building housed a small group of students who were still interested in a vocation to the priesthood, but rather than being schooled within the premises, they attended Saint John Rigby College, at Orrell.

Following the end of the seminary training and boarding education, Saint Joseph's became home to the Upholland Northern Institute (UNI) and was used as a retreat and conference centre for the Archdiocese under the leadership of Msgr John Devine.

sjsr.jpg

alterr.jpg
altertwor.jpg

archesr.jpg

thedormbeamsr.jpg

thedormbedsr.jpg

alterthreer.jpg

corridorlightr.jpg
longr.jpg

panelshdrr.jpg

hallstairsr.jpg

dormsr.jpg