real time web analytics
Report - - St Joseph's Seminary Wigan 09-2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Joseph's Seminary Wigan 09-2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
St Joseph's Seminary Wigan, visited with Camershy, Scrappy and Girlfriend...sorry i forgot your user name. A fantastic explore on a very beautiful sunny day, i've wanted to see this for some time so a big thank you to scrappy for the tour, without him i think it would have been easy to get lost in their and would have been fun finding our way out. I think we got to see more a less most of the site, it was only when we got to the chapel that it was time to go, we got in but before i got the camera out it was time to go...next time. we also missed a fantastic washroom which looks amazing on other sites so hope to get back to see this, all in all a stunning site and great day.

[
CENTER]HISTORY...From camerashy's report.​
Saint Joseph's College was founded in 1880 by Bishop Bernard O'Reilly to be the Seminary serving the North West of England. The college was formally opened in 1883 and was situated in Walthew Park, Upholland, the geographic centre of the Diocese of Liverpool. Candidates for the priesthood studied and were ordained at the college. Up until the second Vatican Council boys as young as 11 years of age entered the Junior Seminary before progressing to the senior Seminary at 18. In 1972 following changes of policy the two junior seminaries of Saint Joseph's and Ushaw, along with the junior seminary of Saint Michael's, merged at Upholland, and in 1975, with declining numbers of men from Ireland offering themselves for the (now) Archdiocese of Liverpool the Senior seminary moved to Ushaw. In the 1980s Saint Joseph's offered boarding school education for boys considering a vocation up until 1987. From then until 1991, the building housed a small group of students who were still interested in a vocation to the priesthood, but rather than being schooled within the premises, they attended Saint John Rigby College, at Orrell.

Following the end of the seminary training and boarding education, Saint Joseph's became home to the Upholland Northern Institute (UNI) and was used as a retreat and conference centre for the Archdiocese under the leadership of Msgr John Devine.​

StJ297.jpg

StJ055.jpg

StJ2821.jpg

StJ2901.jpg

StJ172.jpg
StJ198.jpg

StJ179.jpg

StJ148.jpg

StJ048.jpg

StJ068.jpg

StJ134.jpg

StJ085.jpg
StJ202.jpg

StJ051.jpg

StJ1191.jpg

StJ206.jpg

StJ213.jpg

StJ246.jpg

StJ270.jpg
StJ259.jpg

StJ2711.jpg
[/CENTER]

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Beautiful place with cracking shots to compliment them :thumb Those beams in pics 5,6,7 & 8 are stunning :thumb Cheers for sharing