real time web analytics
Report - - St Josephs Seminary - Wigan 14/12/08 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Josephs Seminary - Wigan 14/12/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Finally i got the chance to visit this seminary last Sunday, however time was short, and we barely scratched the surface with a few hours, i cant wait to return, great site to loose your thoughts in.

We all know the site, most know how epic it is, but here is a few snippets of its History if you have forgotten...

• Roman Catholic college to train Priests.
  • Opened in 1883.
  • Closed as a college in 1987.
  • Used as a Boarding school in the 70/80's.
  • Plans to convert the Building into Apartments.
Shots with no borders are film :) hope i have captured the place well. Although loioking back at the pics scanned, i have lost quality through photobucket, or the scanner :S.

The imposing building upon entry, this is one of the faces, the main entrance out of picture to the right, entry to the courtyard in the center of the picture
stjosephsseminary015.jpg

11.jpg

stjosephsseminary014.jpg

Expanses of white corridor
8.jpg

stjosephsseminary001.jpg

Onto the chapel, big and chilly heh
5.jpg

stjosephsseminary004.jpg

stjosephsseminary005.jpg

Books, end cupboards
stjosephsseminary006.jpg

From here on we looked at some of the rooms on the ground floor, moving round to the kitchens and laundry etc.
stjosephsseminary007.jpg

Drinks room, few bottles and lots of glasses left.
stjosephsseminary008.jpg

Lonesome chair
stjosephsseminary009.jpg

The kitchen was filled with all of the gear, along with storerooms still containing tools.
4.jpg

stjosephsseminary010.jpg

stjosephsseminary011.jpg

Drying cupboards
3.gif

Laundry sinks
1.jpg

2.jpg

From here it was up some floors to see some statues on a Balcony, along with some old accommodation rooms...
stjosephsseminary012.jpg

Don't slip
12.jpg

stjosephsseminary013.jpg

13.jpg

Heres a few more externals, beautiful building!! Loads of quality lost though. In the middle of the courtyard
9.jpg

10.jpg

A final look back leading to the main road, and gatehouse.
stjosephsseminary016.jpg

Also met Scott, rooks and dsankt in there :thumb

I think its best leaving it here for the time being until it dies down a bit, again.

TERAH FOR NOW

Brick_Man

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
OMG dempsey made a report!

See my cam is making you some nice shots :p
5.jpg

I like this one. what film did you use? proper B&W or that c41 stuff?

Is the digger at the front to do the gardening or demo ?
also you hear about the nuns at a seminary near worchester (?) that are leaving it (EMPTY) and moving to a breezeblock shed in northumberland? its in the news at the mo, daft IMO.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
5.jpg

...that's a great picture, I really like that. Saw that for all of two seconds last time I was there.

# Closed as a college in 1987.
# Used as a Boarding school in the 70/80's.

Didn't know that. Was it a religious boarding school?

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Bricko, thats my canon 650e, although! I'm not gona use it anymore its got a problem with the winding mechanism, and i loose shots, very irregular, once it was a whole film with black lines where the frames were not lined up, and then it can be one out of a whole 36, madness, so I'm gona have to use your bloody 300 haha, i actually don't mind.

Thanks for the pointers OT and pincheck :)

As a boarding school, i really couldn't tell you, it was just 5 minute research i had on the tineterweb, but it seems logical that it would have being a catholic boarding school.

Brick_Man

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
meh, kids and religion, always a winning combination :S

ah forgot you had that thing.

Looks like you enjoyed it though, cant believe so much of it is so empty though, I mean its MASSIve! must still be some fairly well furnished rooms + store rooms?

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Lots of the furishings donated by other religious Buildings, were all auctioned off, with no thought of the original contributers, apparently. Apart fromt hat its ok, obvious stuff has changed i reccon in 2 years, and some painting has gone on for the filming of hollyoaks and what not. But yeah, its the small rooms which contain the win, although expanses of the site are sparse , it has a feel where things where all bundled together rather left in situ, its like that with the majority of rooms.