real time web analytics
Report - - St Josephs Seminary, Wigan, May 2016 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Josephs Seminary, Wigan, May 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
Always wanting this ever since a failure in 2011, but never got the chance to return until now.
so no apologies for being thread no. 39. :eek:

St Josephs Seminary by stranton ,
thanks too @Coolboyslim for waiting while I went in the building :thumb

The foundation stone was laid in april 1880 & the seminary opened in 1883,
being founded by Bernard O' reilly.
St Josephs was the principal seminary serving the north west,
as of 1987 the remaining scholers attended St John Rigby, in Orrell for their schooling
an arrangement which continued until 1991
the seminary closed in 1992.

1_zpsipmyfyjf.jpg

2_zpszrnzaiyk.jpg

3_zpsnncst2zz.jpg

4_zpsfwqi60c1.jpg

above
5_zpsn05ozgcb.jpg

6_zps2h4zpeuy.jpg

7_zps7ucgsxyp.jpg

8_zpsiviosowm.jpg

9_zpslyhutoez.jpg

10_zps0k6tb99h.jpg

11_zpskrkqi9kk.jpg

12_zpsxevjqgwc.jpg

chapel
13_zpsq93zw7rs.jpg

14_zpsably33kd.jpg

15_zpstktpjxzr.jpg

16_zpsdpqn1qia.jpg

17_zpsx4hydjbc.jpg

18_zps6dlarmz5.jpg

19_zpsbxf2lhxc.jpg

20_zpscavoct0h.jpg

21_zpskgwh5pru.jpg

22_zpsozy0estq.jpg

23_zpsqhwhm3pp.jpg

24_zpstc2yjfyh.jpg

25_zpsoke3zo1q.jpg

26_zpsdwwzdrmh.jpg

27_zpsfvjwuvar.jpg

29_zpspnnnmqhr.jpg

below
30_zpscxnlzfp7.jpg

31_zpsqcztwayr.jpg

thanks

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Nice work m8ty some great pics there and no worries glad you finally got it done . Thx for posting and pics

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good stuff this :thumb are the last 2 pics air raid shelters or ducting or something? Don't think I've seen them before

PJC1965

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
hi all , new to this ....but I did go to Upholland in 1979 to 1981 , seen the pictures and love them .........but from my memories there is so much missing that I think I could find , feel a whole wing still to explore , no pictures of an indoor gym etc .......am sure I can find it ..........went up the other week and looked from the top of the Beacon .......so many memories ...all good ........... no pictures of the refectory ..........I know where all this is

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
hi all , new to this ....but I did go to Upholland in 1979 to 1981 , seen the pictures and love them .........but from my memories there is so much missing that I think I could find , feel a whole wing still to explore , no pictures of an indoor gym etc .......am sure I can find it ..........went up the other week and looked from the top of the Beacon .......so many memories ...all good ........... no pictures of the refectory ..........I know where all this is

There are pics of every room in that place within the numerous reports on this forum, have a look through them and I'm sure they will bring back lots of memories :)

Heres two of mine if you are interested, first one has the gym you mentioned

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/st-josephs-seminary-part-visit-july-2015.t97895

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/st-josephs-seminary-upholland-march-2016.t102542

PJC1965

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There are pics of every room in that place within the numerous reports on this forum, have a look through them and I'm sure they will bring back lots of memories :)

Heres two of mine if you are interested, first one has the gym you mentioned

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/st-josephs-seminary-part-visit-july-2015.t97895

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/st-josephs-seminary-upholland-march-2016.t102542
thanks to all who have replied , I still want to go and have a look if anyone is interested , am fit and can climb , might be able to point out what actually went on in the rooms , what a way to let a lovely building go to dereliction , such as waste

Lavino

28DL Full Member
might be able to point out what actually went on in the rooms , what a way to let a lovely building go to dereliction , such as waste

I think a lot of us already know what went on in these rooms. And it wasn't all good.. :gay:eek:

UrbexCamo

"Just having a look officer"
Banned
Wow what a place! Definitely one I have to visit! Amazing building and brilliant pictures!

oldboy64

28DL Member
28DL Member
Interesting - I also lived here from 1962 to 1969. Picture 7 is the refectory, and had always been so since the opening, so in the 10 years following, the decline in numbers must have been severe enough to make its use impractical. I too would love to see inside this place again, but am now 66, too old to climb, so really enjoy seeing the pics posted here. Great job guys.