real time web analytics
Report - - St Lawrences Asylum, Bodmin - Dec 2008 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Lawrences Asylum, Bodmin - Dec 2008

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Wrapping up what had been a pretty epic 2008 I headed down west. St Lawrences was one that didn't get a lot of attention - probably because it was a bloody long drive even from Bristol and secondly because most had been converted and all that was left was the lovely looking foster annex. Further more most of the annex had been stripped to brick walls and didn't even have floors. Really you only went here for one thing and one thing only. That. Bloody Hall. What a stunner. The whole place was pretty well secured and known as PIR hospital for quite a few years. Towards the middle of 2008 it seemed to become more easy, infact at one point you could just walk in.

By the time myself, Sinnerman and Jules hit it up they'd fixed up the obvious access point around the back of the kitchens and thus access was pretty redic by means of an air vent to the service tunnels underneath. A crawl under the brick work more akin to caving would lead into the tunnels and eventually steps up. The PIRS by now were all dead and the only thing you needed to be careful was avoiding the random security visits which involved walking through the corridors. The second visit here a couple months later resulted in being caught by the seccer. Well I say caught but they'd already called the fuzz thinking we were metal fairies and we had to explain to the officers what were doing all this way, It went something along these lines - 'Have you seen the hall?'

Orginally known as ‘Cornwall County Asylum’ it was founded in 1815 at Westheath Avenue, Bodmin and became known as St Lawrence’s Hospital under the National Health Service.

The County Lunatic Asylum, for the reception of private patients and pauper lunatics, a little to the west of the Town of Bodmin on a site of about 9 acres, consists of eight blocks of buildings radiating from a centre, with annexes and detached blocks subsequently erected and residences for the various officers. The first portion, for 100 patients, was built in 1820; in 1842 the “high building” was added, and in 1848 a “new building” was built; A further enlargement was made in 1867 by the erection of the Carew Block; in 1873 an additional building was erected, and in 1884 another. There is a dining and recreation hall, 80 by 34 feet. The Asylum held 760 patients; the average being, males 305, and females 366, 24 of the former and 23 of the latter being private patients.

Pics:

Attachments

• 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 28

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great photos. I always used to look out of the window when my family drove past the building when I was young. Then one day I was horrified to see it was just a pile of rubble. Yeah Bodmin is a bit of a shithole but the quality of the materials and design was very high. Much plainer asylums in worse condition have been converted!

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Wow man. Blast from the past right there! I remember watching an awful documentary on YouTube about this place. A real eye opener.

Top shots again.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Such a crying shame that this was all demolished. The hall really was one of the nicest in the country.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
I remember two things, Squeezing through a 10 inch gap between the ceiling and the top of the walk in fridge to get in.. then sitting in the radio room hiding behind the desk as security stomped about on the stage....

xexxa

Xexxa the grey
Banned
They pulled this down? What the fuck! I’ve also never seen decorative strip lights before ...

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
They pulled this down? What the fuck! I’ve also never seen decorative strip lights before ...

Yep despite local opposition to the Hall being bulldozed it’s gone. I reckon the lights when on would have been ghastly as there’re basically strip lights. I think!

The hall in its original layout was quite impressive too. Glazed tiles behind that wooden panelling iirc

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I remember two things, Squeezing through a 10 inch gap between the ceiling and the top of the walk in fridge to get in.. then sitting in the radio room hiding behind the desk as security stomped about on the stage....

That bloody weird transmitter upstairs. A predecessor to the modern day darleks

Seffy

Staff member
I'm so glad I got to see this before they demolished it - it would probably be one of my favourites. I like the fact that barely anyone bothered with it. Great set to boot sir!

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
That bloody weird transmitter upstairs. A predecessor to the modern day darleks
Im not sure we went upstairs.. I seem to remember we could only get into the kitchens and the corridors around the hall. The rest was blocked off with steel mesh. Then again i might be thinking of Graylingwell.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lovely pics, as everyone said such a shame this was demolished!
Wonder what happened to them hall lights?

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Im not sure we went upstairs.. I seem to remember we could only get into the kitchens and the corridors around the hall. The rest was blocked off with steel mesh. Then again i might be thinking of Graylingwell.

That sounds about right - you really couldn't get into much. Lovenly ward opened up now and again which was the one with littearlly two cells but that was about it. Graylingwell wasn't much better thou.

Who has read this thread (Total: 240) View details