real time web analytics
Report - - St Lukes Chapel, Stone House Hospital (City of London Asylum) June, 2013 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Lukes Chapel, Stone House Hospital (City of London Asylum) June, 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sx-riffraff

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Chapel Of St Lukes, Stone House Hospital

The 1845 Lunacy Act made it obligatory for local authorities to provide asylums for
their poor, and this prompted a massive boom in their construction. The City of
London selected the Stone House Hospital site as a suitable location for a new
lunatic asylum since at that time it was open fields, isolated from Dartford and the
smaller villages of Stone and Greenhithe. Stone House was originally the City of
London Asylum.

In 1887 the Commissioners of Lunacy stated that chapels in asylums should be
detached from the main hospital buildings. St Luke’s Chapel was designed by
Murray and consecrated by the Bishop of Rochester in May 1901. The former
chapel within the main building was converted into a recreation hall and stage.
The chapel as we see it today was a Victorian addition and has remained largely unchanged,
it as well as the main hospital building are grade II listed.
As the redevelopment of Stone House Hospital rolls to a close this is one of the last parts to be converted, into what im not sure but work has begun.

The light in here was terrible and im no pro when it comes to photography but i hope you like what you see.

DPP_0017_zps10cd1062.jpg

DPP_0004_zpsfac1c6d0.jpg

DPP_0002_zps64196321.jpg

DPP_0011_zps445126d2.jpg

DPP_0006_zps82dfa6c8.jpg

DPP_0007_zps2c60c290.jpg

DPP_0012_zpsacbf8592.jpg

DPP_0003_zps747e5d93.jpg

DPP_0009_zps562931b4.jpg

DPP_0003_zpscff60031.jpg

DPP_0002_zpsc24526c7.jpg

Thanks for looking

SX-RIFFRAFF

Tess

28DL Member
28DL Member
We as Christian group looking for church to rent for our service every Sunday we found this building suitable for our fellowship ,I would like to inquire the right person whom we speak regarding this building. Hoping for the response . Thanks

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
We as Christian group looking for church to rent for our service every Sunday we found this building suitable for our fellowship ,I would like to inquire the right person whom we speak regarding this building. Hoping for the response . Thanks
cant see why anyone on here would know..this is probably renovated and part of the housing development on the rest of the site.maybe contact the owners..you can do that via a google of stonehouse i should think

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member

Kids, bible study can make you this clever too.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
is 28 dl the new estate agency we have all been waiting for?or maybe just a service to do something the happy clappers can't and find the correct person to ask