real time web analytics
Report - - St Luke's Hospital, Middlesbrough Borough Asylum, June '10 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Luke's Hospital, Middlesbrough Borough Asylum, June '10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Raddog

28DL Full Member
St Luke's Hospital was formerly the Middlesbrough Borough Asylum. Built in 1894 this place has been listed as closing since the days when Simon Cornwell's website was pretty much the main place to look for derelict asylums.

I've been keeping an eye on this place for a while and on this visit everything dropped into place nicely. So here it is, another new hospital for your viewing pleasure.

This place is different to most, it's a Victorian asylum in layout and purpose but it's been modernised to today's standards while still used for its original purpose. Everything you'd expect to find is here, admin up front with a clock on the roof, Victorian kitchens with bread ovens, pharmacy, hall, patient's bank, male and female wings, individual rooms\cells, and even an observation room. This place had a medium secure unit too, and the anti climb measures were of prison standard.

I couldn't find much information online but I found something that made me laugh:
One of the most bizarre episodes occurred in July 1904 when a patient working in the kitchen garden bolted 'hotly pursued by two gardeners' and managed to reach North Ormesby, where he took refuge in a
grocer's shop. 'He appeared to take up a cheese knife and threatened those who attempted to stop him,' reported the Medical Superintendent.

Anyway, here's the pics. Average due to f2.8 fail:

5354bfb3.jpg

63652043.jpg

2d9480af.jpg

03e38d85.jpg

Pharmacy
9d330dd4.jpg

afd8a955.jpg

22de1ace.jpg

b0ff80e1.jpg

All rooms were the same inside:
65a36aea.jpg

Watching you watching me...
58250a84.jpg

bcce5e5b.jpg

Hall
2d74d640.jpg

f3229b8a.jpg

da856a69.jpg

1cc912bc.jpg

c7b2649e.jpg

0cbfae3d.jpg

For once the Medical Records room was entirely empty!
9cc220bc.jpg

90074a51.jpg

View attachment 229270

Kitchen
c1f76fa4.jpg

Hairdressers
cd8fdd0c.jpg

d342a60f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jono moniz

28DL Member
28DL Member
You got the address of this place and know how to get inside and if it's still there?? Live in the area and really want to explore this place

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
You got the address of this place and know how to get inside and if it's still there?? Live in the area and really want to explore this place

assuming you want the plans too,
its been demo'd now, you'd know this if you bothered to check, google a fascinating thing.

Last edited: