real time web analytics
Report - - St Luke’s Memorial Hall (Wallasey, Wirral, May, 2018) | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Luke’s Memorial Hall (Wallasey, Wirral, May, 2018)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I couldn’t find much information about this building except that it was built in 1928 to honour locals who lost their lives in WW1. It looks to have been boarded up for a while judging by the decay and consists of a large hall with stage and balcony along with a number of side rooms full of parish bric-a-brac. It probably had a variety of uses, maybe including as a Sunday school for St Luke’s Church next door judging by the tiny furniture - there is also some paperwork relating to the Wallasey Operatic Society (now called the Wallasey Musical Theatre Company). Pictures go from the ground floor up.

42002416804_51b086663d_b.jpg

41820659395_ec6c76d3cd_b.jpg

42720233421_097bc53c7d_b.jpg

42671601762_9a14b1941f_b.jpg

42720231011_ebc17f2fd0_b.jpg

40910155230_4e006ffa69_b.jpg

42720229741_1c3600f711_b.jpg

42671599602_29e5af456e_b.jpg

42720228381_97389efe6e_b.jpg

28846823698_5023a75579_b.jpg

40910152870_88ab638cbe_b.jpg

42671596322_0541b87edf_b.jpg

40910151810_53dcd20d40_b.jpg

Last edited:

josco

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello everyone! The photos of St Lukes Memorial Hall brought back some very happy memories for me - after the war around about September 1946 A fine gentleman by the name of Jack Geddes (who lived in Chamberlain Street) - and with the help of another couple of fine gentlemen called Eric Brooks and Frank Austen - re-established the 1st Wallasey Company of the Boys' Brigade, based first of all in the 'church hall' (underneath the church) and then later in the Memorial Hall. There followed five happy years for me in the BB (rising to the dizzy heights of warrant officer) before being hauled off to National Service. This was a bit of a pain but after demob I spent four years at sea before returning home to Wallasey and married life. After a while I met up with Jack Geddes again and returned to the 1st Wallasey as the bandmaster. The Memorial Hall was a super HQ and we had many annual 'demonstrations' there of the work of the BB (with the unfailing support of the vicar Rev Trevor Jones) and I still have friends from those times to this day (I am getting on a bit now and Jack, Eric and Frank have sadly passed away). Although my work took me away from Wallasey in 1969 I do hope that this lovely building can be saved (along with the church of course). Poulton would simply never be the same without them.

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Interesting to learn a bit more about this place - I couldn't find much online. As far as I know the church is still going and probably owns the memorial hall - somebody looks after it at any rate since vandal damage gets repaired fairly quickly. I wonder if there is any boys brigade material still inside - I found a cache of old BB photos etc. in a similar memorial hall on the other side of the Mersey some time ago https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/dyson-rycroft-memorial-hall-liverpool-nov-2017.110595/

josco

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Interesting to learn a bit more about this place - I couldn't find much online. As far as I know the church is still going and probably owns the memorial hall - somebody looks after it at any rate since vandal damage gets repaired fairly quickly. I wonder if there is any boys brigade material still inside - I found a cache of old BB photos etc. in a similar memorial hall on the other side of the Mersey some time ago https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/dyson-rycroft-memorial-hall-liverpool-nov-2017.110595/
HI urban chemist - A year or two ago (when it was thought that St Lukes might be demolished) my brother Graham, who was also a staunch member of the Boys' Brigade, as a boy and later as an officer, rescued the two 1st Wallasey flags which were hanging in the church along with a 'Wellington' drum which had a silver memorial plaque on it. When (thankfully) it turned out that the church would have a new lease of life, Graham returned the flags and drum where they remain in their rightful place by the altar. I well remember the fund raising activities which led to the purchase of three 'Wellington' drums and the strong competition between the then band drummers to be chosen as the 'Wellington'
drummers on the front row of the band which proudly marched round the parish at the head of the company (followed by many of the young, and not so young, parishioners) on Church Parade Sundays. Somewhere there is a fine silver and cane mace which was used by the mace bearer (originally a very smart guy called Jimmy Ince) to signal such things as when the buglers should blow one of their repertoire of tunes - "Georgia" being my favourite. Those were the days - I loved every minute. The verger in those days was a chap called Bill Woosnam who lived across the road from the church - he used to go nuts when the lads made too much of a racket in the church hall, usually on band practice nights. Incidentally Jack Geddes' daughter, Gillian, now lives with her family on Tenerife and I hear from her now and again.

bidston20

28DL Member
28DL Member
HI urban chemist - A year or two ago (when it was thought that St Lukes might be demolished) my brother Graham, who was also a staunch member of the Boys' Brigade, as a boy and later as an officer, rescued the two 1st Wallasey flags which were hanging in the church along with a 'Wellington' drum which had a silver memorial plaque on it. When (thankfully) it turned out that the church would have a new lease of life, Graham returned the flags and drum where they remain in their rightful place by the altar. I well remember the fund raising activities which led to the purchase of three 'Wellington' drums and the strong competition between the then band drummers to be chosen as the 'Wellington'
drummers on the front row of the band which proudly marched round the parish at the head of the company (followed by many of the young, and not so young, parishioners) on Church Parade Sundays. Somewhere there is a fine silver and cane mace which was used by the mace bearer (originally a very smart guy called Jimmy Ince) to signal such things as when the buglers should blow one of their repertoire of tunes - "Georgia" being my favourite. Those were the days - I loved every minute. The verger in those days was a chap called Bill Woosnam who lived across the road from the church - he used to go nuts when the lads made too much of a racket in the church hall, usually on band practice nights. Incidentally Jack Geddes' daughter, Gillian, now lives with her family on Tenerife and I hear from her now and again.
Hi Further to my brother's post he was slightly incorrect . After the 1st Wallasey disbanded the colours and drum went to the 3rd Wallasey at St Andrews church in New Brighton. When that company disbanded I rescued the items as nobody including BB HQ were interested in having them. I kept them at home until I heard St Lukes was reopening. I was a boy and officer at 1st Wallasey before going overseas to work in 1969. I carried the colours as an officer and played in the band including the Wellington drum on many a church parade. I had many a great time there and also got married there with a Lifeboys and BB guard of honour. Happy days.

josco

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers Graham for putting me right on that. Interesting site this and I hope some other folk can continue the story of the fortunes of St Lukes' Memorial Hall. A great uncle of ours (who lived on Wheatland Lane) was killed at Gallipoli during WW1 so on his behalf, and comrades at arms, I do hope the hall built in their memory can be saved.

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good that someone rescued the BB things. As far as the building goes if someone doesn't fix the holes in roof - easy to see since its very dark inside - it will soon become properly derelict. There seem to be quite a few of these old spaces kicking around which have no immediate modern use - conversion into flats seems the most likely outcome.

josco

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good that someone rescued the BB things. As far as the building goes if someone doesn't fix the holes in roof - easy to see since its very dark inside - it will soon become properly derelict. There seem to be quite a few of these old spaces kicking around which have no immediate modern use - conversion into flats seems the most likely outcome.
Hi Urban Chemist - I have only yesterday posted an enquiry on the St Lukes 'Messenger'/Facebook page seeking info on what is happening with the memorial hall. If anything of note emerges I will try to remember to update this thread. Did you serve in the Boys Brigade by the way? Regards John

josco

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well, it does seem to be possibly the case that the values and interests of young fellas today are not quite the same as they were in 1883 when the BB was founded. That being said the BB is still thriving in some areas (the 1st Slough company being a fine example). Cheers.