real time web analytics
Report - - St Margaret's Convent, Wirral. April 2010. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Margaret's Convent, Wirral. April 2010.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

manic28_am

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’ve decided to do one with a religious angle. Well, it is Easter. :thumb Last time we tried this place, there were alarms and security. Now…nothing! Bonkers. Access was initially dubious, but on closer inspection turned out to be easy. I ventured in and had a leisurely stroll, while keeping eagle-eyed for scumbags. Set in the once prestigious Rock Park on the Wirral, this building dating from the 1830s has been a convent and later a care home, run by the 'Religious Sisters of Charity'. This building closed as a care home when the sisters upped sticks in 2005. It has been empty since. Consequently, it has been a magnet for local no-marks, and this once glorious historic Grade II listed Georgian house is suffering from the effects of mindless vandalism.

A synopsis of this places 180 year history:
1830 – 1890 Pirvate dwelling in the very posh Rock Park.
1890 – 2005 Convent and then later, a care home.
You might like this advert for the place by the estate agents. Here is a link for info on the nuns. Recentish article on this place from the local press.

The main Georgian building is over three floors, not counting the basement. Added on to this is a large modern L-shaped block wrapping around two sides of the original building. A mixture of old and new styles, with the added quirkiness that it was a convent. A great one to pop into if you’re near.

I'm not one for the arty pics. It's more the exploring than the photographing for me. But nontheless, I try. Some not as sharp as I would like.

How about an Easter related joke at the end of the report as a sweetener? :thumb

100_0002.jpg

On the gatepost from the road.

CIMG5260.jpg

Part of the original building from the 1830s.

CIMG5223-1.jpg

The building going off on the left of the pic is the newer addition that wraps around the original building.

CIMG5226.jpg

The first room I encountered was the chapel. Very dark due to steel shutters.

CIMG5227.jpg

Another view in the chapel.

CIMG5229.jpg

The date, not the headline!

CIMG5231.jpg

The kitchen.

CIMG5233-1.jpg

A part of the modern building.

CIMG5235-1.jpg

Appropriate for Easter.

CIMG5239.jpg

Generic pic comment here.

CIMG5240.jpg

Enticing. I ‘went into the light’ and found…

CIMG5241.jpg

There was little chance of me getting a taxi home.

CIMG5242.jpg

CIMG5243.jpg

CIMG5246.jpg

CIMG5244.jpg

CIMG5247.jpg

CIMG5249.jpg

CIMG5252.jpg

Ive got to confess, finding the piano made me a little excited. Why do they do that?! :crazy

CIMG5254.jpg

CIMG5255.jpg

Odd. This place has been empty for five years. No signs of life, and then there are lights on in the basement!

CIMG5257.jpg

I'm not sure either.

Finally, an Easter related joke...

Q. What do you call a line of rabbits walking backwards?
A. A receding hareline. :tumbleweed

Andy Manic28_am