real time web analytics
Report - - St Margarets Deep Shelter (ZRocket) - Dover - November 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Margarets Deep Shelter (ZRocket) - Dover - November 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
The battery at St Margaret's was one of the earliest to be established in the Dover area. Its four 5.5" guns came were former naval guns, coming from the secondary armament of the battlecruiser HMS Hood, replaced during a refit. They were thus spared the fate suffered by the Hood itself when she fell victim to the Bismarck in May 1941 during the Battle of the Denmark Strait. The guns however were soon outclassed by the heavier guns of nearby batteries and it was later used to decoy enemy shipping to change course and come into range of neighbouring batteries.

The battery was manned by four officers and 165 men of the 411 Bty Coast Defence, and to provide protection a deep shelter was dug for them by the Royal Engineers 171 Tunnelling Company. This had three entrances, two behind the guns which are now covered over, and a third close by. The first two lead 20m or so down to the shelter which consists of two roughly parallel tunnels, kinked at about 45 degrees for an unknown reason, which are linked by four short cross tunnels one of which is wider to allow it to be used as a medical station. These are lined with corrugated steel sheeting supported by colliery hoops in a similar manner to the other Dover gun battery deep shelters.

The Explore
Another place that has been on my list for years but other locations got the better of me and I kept putting it off, glad I finally got round to poking my head in. Visited with @Porker of the night . Great chilled out couple hours afternoon explore indeed. Not many pictures to be had in here as it isn't the largest of places but still a couple of nice photo opportunities.

On to the pictures,

2F_zpsrqcjzoxx.jpg

3F_zpsvdbvfemx.jpg

1F1_zpsqbpa8cvs.jpg

4F_zpszm9rkjwu.jpg

7F_zps6mmw66sh.jpg

5F_zpsx1leex85.jpg

7. @Porker of the night
6F_zpse2egl1uy.jpg

Cheers for having a ganders :thumb

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Love Z rocket mate cant recall the amount of times we have popped back,small but you have got some good shots of the old girl

Stonedexplorer420

28DL Member
28DL Member
Would anyone be will to give some guidance on how to get inside as have been trying to find information about this place for ages! Any help would be much appreciated!

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Would anyone be will to give some guidance on how to get inside as have been trying to find information about this place for ages! Any help would be much appreciated!

If you go to st margarets and walk around above ground where the shelter is located then unless your blind you cant miss the access. you can practically fall into the place from a footpath.

Who has read this thread (Total: 7) View details