Web
Analytics
Report - - St Margaret’s Hospital, Pheasey - April 2019 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Margaret’s Hospital, Pheasey - April 2019


Exploring.With.KMK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great Barr Colony (St Margaret’s Lunatic Asylum)

We walked the estate that has a whole bunch of new build houses on it. It took us some time to find as we entered the estate and got lost, eventually being directed the right way.

Not much still stands of the Lunatic Asylum (once known as the idiot colony). Its surrounded by security fencing and a lot of scaffolding is supporting the building.

In the mid-17th century, Richard Scott acquired the house then standing on the site and known as Nether House. Financial problems led the Scott Family (who gave their name to the nearby Scott Arms pub and shopping centre), to lease out the hall from about 1788 to Samuel Galton, and for some years the Hall became a venue for meetings of the Lunar Society. In 1911, the estate was purchased by a local hospital board. In 1918 it became St Margaret’s Lunatic Asylum. The male department closed in 1992 with the females department closing in March 1997.

Go and Follow our Instagram page; @Exploring.With.KMK for more pictures and live videos of our explores.

74D93939-DB85-479D-A932-8EFC4D9B62D8.jpeg


AF72F064-966A-4280-AA5A-A10B1A9F76C8.jpeg


719F97DB-CF98-49B0-A056-A532E3FC0C88.jpeg


B3308098-F9E1-4F0A-AA3C-0D3ADDAD0B1F.jpeg


89D750E5-4499-44D0-9056-831A04FF75F3.jpeg


CF628FF1-7ECC-4883-ADCE-BFCDC14B669B.jpeg


D2AFC1EE-3A6A-40F7-9E05-FCD6F4819D26.jpeg


28EE2CD2-CA73-4B08-821D-52DE7A75D8C2.jpeg


63F4291A-B164-408B-975D-404C092E8AF4.jpeg


0FC6E0B3-0BC1-43DB-A956-20D082CAE9ED.jpeg


E2F85BC0-12A9-4314-9787-48C2D988C210.jpeg


24254AF9-EC85-4B52-B707-6F5823ACE43B.jpeg


D7E883C0-A95E-4B8F-8E44-382AC11D11E8.jpeg


E6CA8C34-6D07-4FEA-B756-2C3318691ADF.jpeg


EAA26888-4D77-4A07-A063-5C141731215D.jpeg
 

westernsultan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Interesting to compare with https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/great-barr-idiot-colony-st-margerets-15-01-06.775/ and a bit more history -

The large mansion on site, Great Barr Hall, had its beginnings in the 17th Century, but was extensively remodelled both by Joseph Scott in 1777, and in the 19th century by various occupants.
The Lunar Society, an informal group of leading engineers, industrialists, scientists and thinkers of the day met here in the early 1800s.
The Hall and its grounds were purchased in 1911 by the Walsall and West Bromwich Joint Board, and hospital colony for those with severe learning difficulties was opened after the first world war. Originally known as Great Barr Park Colony for the mentally defective, it was later re-named St Margarets Hospital.
Text taken from https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/hospitals-and-asylums/1640-st-margarets-hospital-barr-park-colony.html#.XK3EsOhKiM8
 
Last edited:

Eddiek

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The 11th photo looks interesting. Looking upwards at the octagonal shape in the timbers, there seems to be some sort of carving/crest on one of the pieces of wood. No idea what for or why ? Anyone got any ideas ?
 

Rosary_Boy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great Barr Colony (St Margaret’s Lunatic Asylum)

We walked the estate that has a whole bunch of new build houses on it. It took us some time to find as we entered the estate and got lost, eventually being directed the right way.

Not much still stands of the Lunatic Asylum (once known as the idiot colony). Its surrounded by security fencing and a lot of scaffolding is supporting the building.

In the mid-17th century, Richard Scott acquired the house then standing on the site and known as Nether House. Financial problems led the Scott Family (who gave their name to the nearby Scott Arms pub and shopping centre), to lease out the hall from about 1788 to Samuel Galton, and for some years the Hall became a venue for meetings of the Lunar Society. In 1911, the estate was purchased by a local hospital board. In 1918 it became St Margaret’s Lunatic Asylum. The male department closed in 1992 with the females department closing in March 1997.

Go and Follow our Instagram page; @Exploring.With.KMK for more pictures and live videos of our explores.

View attachment 800004

View attachment 800005

View attachment 800006

View attachment 800007

View attachment 800008

View attachment 800009

View attachment 800010

View attachment 800011

View attachment 800012

View attachment 800013

View attachment 800014

View attachment 800015

View attachment 800016

View attachment 800017

View attachment 800018[/

very interesting
 

Similar threads


Top