Web
Analytics
Report - - St Martins Deep Shelter, Dover. February, 2020 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Martins Deep Shelter, Dover. February, 2020

Urban Ginger Hog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I first visited this location a few years ago by pure chance when first learning about and exploring the area. I had gone in solo with only my mobile phone, then it was sealed shortly after. This was the first time I had ever experienced such a location and had always wished to return with my Nikon camera and Olight/Nitecore torches. Well, I got my opportunity when a good friend noticed that it was accessible as a result of some mutant totally destroying the entry point. Annoyed that some turd had done such damage I decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth and get in there before it gets resealed. Having my pal join me, we soon bumped into another explorer who stated that the owners were aware and it would soon be sealed so we cracked on. A few shots later following messing about with lighting we made our way back out, happy as larry that we got to experience this gem of a location. Such a shame that owners don't ask for volunteers as a bit of work and this place would look awesome.

Brief History: St Martin's Battery was originally built in 1876 near the cliff edge, overlooking the present Western Docks. A main magazine for powder was built underground in 1877 on the other side of the main road. In the 1890's a new underground cartridge store was provided behind the battery via a passage behind the artillery store. The battery was obsolete by the early 1900s, but in 1940 became part of a defensive chain around the coast and named Western Heights Emergency Battery. To accommodate the 150 complement, a larger, deeper shelter with 30 feet of chalk cover was excavated in the hillside reached by an extension of the tunnel leading to the 1890 cartridge store. Exploration by John Walton and a colleague revealed a Victorian brick-lined sloping tunnel of 94 feet and 52 steps to the main underground works 165 feet by 47 feet, comprising two parallel tunnels linked by three shorter tunnels, which were lined with steel rings and corrugated shuttering. Another long tunnel led to a disused entrance, which originally gave onto Grand Shaft Barracks.

Till next time people

DSC_0036-02.jpeg
DSC_0069-03.jpeg
DSC_0040-02.jpeg
DSC_0062-02.jpeg
DSC_0052-02.jpeg
DSC_0046-01.jpeg
DSC_0047-02.jpeg
DSC_0054-02.jpeg
DSC_0064-02.jpeg
DSC_0042-01.jpeg
DSC_0071-01.jpeg
DSC_0070-02.jpeg
DSC_0045.JPG

Hidinginplanesite

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I wanna go back we went last year it a nice little location but didn't get much photos as I wanted ! Hopefully it still open when we go down over weekend !

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I do like it here. I've yet to post on it. But you gotta love deep shelters, so much history to them. Nice job :thumbcracking shots

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Allegedly sealed again if posts on insta are anything to go by, its a nice little shelter with the mix of construction, shame it was burned out so badly but you have captured it well mate

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
some of the better photos ive seen of this place. You;ve captured it well :thumb

Urban Ginger Hog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Allegedly sealed again if posts on insta are anything to go by, its a nice little shelter with the mix of construction, shame it was burned out so badly but you have captured it well mate
Yeah, sorry pal. It's now sealed tighter than an eskimos nadsack!!

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Couldn't agree more mate. Although I certainly don't begrudge other explorers going in, it's the festering graffiti turds that pi*# me off!!! Sjame about the fire damage too
Back when i first visited i didnt haver a decent torch and trying to light up the black of the burned out tunnel roofs was a nightmare, then came lensers and skills t wave correctly ;)