real time web analytics
Report - - St Marys Church. Tintern, South Wales. Oct 2022 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Marys Church. Tintern, South Wales. Oct 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User

St Mary's Church

I'm not usually one to get excited over church ruins, yes they're nice and all that, but often they're not really report worthy. St Mary's in Tintern I found different though, it has some really charming features, and I was lucky enough to go in autumn, so the colours on the trees were beautiful. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to find any photos of it back in the day, which I found surprising.

The church was rebuilt in 1866, there used to be a medieval chapel on the grounds which was demolished to make way for the church, it was possibly used as a retreat for the monks of the nearby Tintern Abbey. It has been redundant since 1972, when this occurred, some contents were sold to Clearwell Castle Estate. The communion plate, altar cross, processional cross and candlesticks were moved to St Michael’s church, at the other end of the village. The church was subject to a fire in 1977, not sure if this was deliberate arson or an accident.

The graveyard is still used, with a few fresh tombstones around. There is a listed sarcophagus tomb in the grounds. It has been restored using 'traditional methods because of its age and listed status' The tomb is believed to belong to Richard White, a wealthy ironworks leaseholder who died in 1765. The tomb is said to be one of the earliest monuments to be listed and protected.

IMG_4622-HDR.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

IMG_4632-HDR.jpg

IMG_4641-HDR.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4653.jpg

IMG_4657-HDR.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4669.jpg

The restored tomb

IMG_4674.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

IMG_4679.jpg

A beautiful memorial tree

IMG_4681.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_4687-HDR.jpg

IMG_4693.jpg

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I have seen many pics of this one. It's so photogenic. You covered it nicely. Love the tiles that are still in the entry.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I have seen many pics of this one. It's so photogenic. You covered it nicely. Love the tiles that are still in the entry.
Thank you. I really enjoyed it. Much nicer than the ruined hotel everyone visits just down the road from it.
I'm surprised how some bits are in great condition like the tiles and the door considering it had a fire.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The autumn colours are really nice in this. I'd like to see this one at some point. I agree with Mikey on the tiles at the entrance, they are really nice.