real time web analytics
Report - - St Marys Hospital, Stannington - 2010 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Marys Hospital, Stannington - 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
A compact arrow design by GT Hine and four years of construction brought this hospital to life. Opening in 1914 as Gateshead Borough Lunatic Asylum. After various extensions and additions, also wartime requisitions the hospital joined the National Health Service in 1948. After many years of use the hospital was closed and all services transferred. The doors closed to patients and staff for the final time in 1995.

There is an excellent history and far better pictures here so I suggest anyone interested take a good long look at the whole website in general.

I visited this place a few times from 2009-2011, the most notable would be the first, second and last. My first visit here was fantastic, not my first asylum but the one i remember the most fondly I'd say. Back then we sure had the pick of these kind of places. "The List" seemed never ending. West Park was the first I visited and I suppose all that followed would be compared to that. Upon reflection its clear each one had its own merits.

I always thought St Mary's was different than the rest though. The place was so peaceful. The buildings felt untouched even though there was a fair bit of vandalism in places and there was a good bit of stuff left behind. This report is from my second visit with Amon and Andre. I met them both there after ripping my way up the motorway in the old golden 106 bugmobile, sliding past the Angel Of The North in the snow.

Arriving late as always we headed through the fields avoiding the notoriously nosy locals. Once again it did not disappoint. Fantastic to see the place in the snow, I'll never forget the moment we approached admin as it appeared through the trees, a small family of deer strolled across our path.

The last time I visited was in passing and much later. Unfortunately after many years as one of the best UE playgrounds the wrecking ball found it. The wards were stripped and the admin redeveloped into a gastropub. I've no idea what the story is now. The pub might be abandoned for all I know!

The covid19 lockdown in Ireland is much the same as back in the UK, the sun is shining but we can't do much. Dig out your old pictures folks. Its been great to see some of the older reports being posted. Some of the old names that have come up and the old locations we've forgotten about. Its nice for the newer members to see the history of 28DL too. Stay safe.

1fkbt7U.jpg

NXFlvGA.jpg

mLWrm9Y.jpg

jI5Ideo.jpg

FU8CbLb.jpg

6kC6E8c.jpg

H76yAPS.jpg

29uv2i0.jpg

yAK91k3.jpg

sHbENjH.jpg

6r0iAwZ.jpg

This is one of the places I wish I could have revisited again with people I was yet to meet. When they're gone. They're gone.

Thanks for looking

Bug​

Last edited:

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Yes to asylums in the snow. St Mary's was a beauty, so wonderfully untrashed.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
This is one place I'm gutted I never got to see.

If I'm right in thinking it was basically an exact copy of Hellingly but around 2/3 the size correct? Same admin block, same water tower, same hall design just less wards.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
This is one place I'm gutted I never got to see.

If I'm right in thinking it was basically an exact copy of Hellingly but around 2/3 the size correct? Same admin block, same water tower, same hall design just less wards.

Very standard Hine design, similar to not only Hellingley but also Park Prewit & Cefn Coed

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Likewise with hellingly. I missed that one.

I completely understand your statement about it being a peaceful place, Hellingly was very much the same although as you know trashed to within an inch of it's life. I loved Hellingly as did seemingly everyone else back in the day, there was just something about it.

king_al221

madest urbexer out their. aka mad al
28DL Full Member
A compact arrow design by GT Hine and four years of construction brought this hospital to life. Opening in 1914 as Gateshead Borough Lunatic Asylum. After various extensions and additions, also wartime requisitions the hospital joined the National Health Service in 1948. After many years of use the hospital was closed and all services transferred. The doors closed to patients and staff for the final time in 1995.

There is an excellent history and far better pictures here so I suggest anyone interested take a good long look at the whole website in general.

I visited this place a few times from 2009-2011, the most notable would be the first, second and last. My first visit here was fantastic, not my first asylum but the one i remember the most fondly I'd say. Back then we sure had the pick of these kind of places. "The List" seemed never ending. West Park was the first I visited and I suppose all that followed would be compared to that. Upon reflection its clear each one had its own merits.

I always thought St Mary's was different than the rest though. The place was so peaceful. The buildings felt untouched even though there was a fair bit of vandalism in places and there was a good bit of stuff left behind. This report is from my second visit with Amon and Andre. I met them both there after ripping my way up the motorway in the old golden 106 bugmobile, sliding past the Angel Of The North in the snow.

Arriving late as always we headed through the fields avoiding the notoriously nosy locals. Once again it did not disappoint. Fantastic to see the place in the snow, I'll never forget the moment we approached admin as it appeared through the trees, a small family of deer strolled across our path.

The last time I visited was in passing and much later. Unfortunately after many years as one of the best UE playgrounds the wrecking ball found it. The wards were stripped and the admin redeveloped into a gastropub. I've no idea what the story is now. The pub might be abandoned for all I know!

The covid19 lockdown in Ireland is much the same as back in the UK, the sun is shining but we can't do much. Dig out your old pictures folks. Its been great to see some of the older reports being posted. Some of the old names that have come up and the old locations we've forgotten about. Its nice for the newer members to see the history of 28DL too. Stay safe.

1fkbt7U.jpg

NXFlvGA.jpg

mLWrm9Y.jpg

jI5Ideo.jpg

FU8CbLb.jpg

6kC6E8c.jpg

H76yAPS.jpg

29uv2i0.jpg

yAK91k3.jpg

sHbENjH.jpg

6r0iAwZ.jpg

This is one of the places I wish I could have revisited again with people I was yet to meet. When they're gone. They're gone.

Thanks for looking

Bug​
is dis in sheff??

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I completely understand your statement about it being a peaceful place, Hellingly was very much the same although as you know trashed to within an inch of it's life. I loved Hellingly as did seemingly everyone else back in the day, there was just something about it.

It's weird because both were fairly remote but Hellingly got absolutely wreaked.

Who has read this thread (Total: 221) View details