real time web analytics
Information - - St. Mary's Stannington (Northumberland) - Gone....properly gone | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - St. Mary's Stannington (Northumberland) - Gone....properly gone

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KillaPowa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi Folks,

I was shocked to see this yesterday....

Rolled up to have a look at whether the much discussed and marketed renovation of the remaining hospital ward buildings had progressed, I was absolutely gobsmacked with what I was greeted with (I was only up there 4 weeks ago) - everything gone! Including the water tower...Just huge piles of sorted rubble and a couple of architectural features awaiting collection by the salvagers....

Can't find any information, however they were until recently even marketing the apartments in the old buildings - now to be just another set of ugly houses. What a crying shame.

As you are probably aware - the admin building is now a successful gastropub (with very little, if any mention of the significance of the site present throughout). A couple of outbuildings remain....for now.

Shocked...

KillaPowa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Unfortunately not, I should be up there next weekend so I will compile a report of what little is left.

Devastated the water tower didn't eve survive. I would have thought that would have been a great centrepiece to the development at least. Shocking but not surprising considering the company in question. The houses are butt ugly also. Nothing redeeming about them, and no nod to the site's past.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
The water tower was fucked thou, I think it was even subsiding. Remember Winch nearly went through the roof at the top years ago.

KillaPowa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Still don't understand how far and particular they went with the demolition/salvage operation, then to suddenly demolish the lot, after all the money and time spent making the remaining buildings safe, not to mention the money spent on plans, marketing etc. Obviously new housing will be cheaper but now it's just any old housing development....albeit in the middle of nowhere, with a pub/inn.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Still don't understand how far and particular they went with the demolition/salvage operation, then to suddenly demolish the lot, after all the money and time spent making the remaining buildings safe, not to mention the money spent on plans, marketing etc. Obviously new housing will be cheaper but now it's just any old housing development....albeit in the middle of nowhere, with a pub/inn.

It's very strange after all these years. It sat derelict nearly 20 years and despite that was in very, very, good conditon compared to others closed far later than that. It's quite possible it just wasn't feesable to convert given the location and property prices in the area.

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
They obviously spent a lot of time and money stripping the wards and knocking walls down etc ready for conversion so seems a shame they bailed out :(