real time web analytics
Report - - St Michael on the Mount Without Church, Bristol - Sep 2016 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Michael on the Mount Without Church, Bristol - Sep 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Explored with @Grit & @END-PROC

This church has been derelict for quite a while now, since 1999, and since exploring I've been very keen to see the inside of it. I've checked access more times than I can remember. There is a good reason for this; I've heard stories from family members for years that there used to be a plaque inside commemorating all the fallen soldiers of the 6th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment, of which my Great Great Uncle's name is on there (he died in the Italian campaign and is buried over there). No now knew what happened to it, wether it was still in there or not, etc. So, whenever I'm near I always have a look to see if anything has changed which recently came up trumps.

As expected there wasn't any power which was a shame as it made lighting some of the plaques very tricky. The whole church is adorned with plaques everywhere.

History:
St Michael on the Mount Without earned its odd name by being located ‘without’ (outside) the city walls. Its earliest remaining part is the tower, which was built around the 15th century. At this time the church served a growing suburb of merchants’ houses on St Michael’s Hill and, apart from the tower, consisted of a nave and south aisle. By the 18th century the parish needed a larger church but St Michael’s was recorded as being in poor condition, except for the tower (repaired in 1739). The church’s body was therefore destroyed and architect Thomas Paty built a new nave with a crypt beneath and aisles either side (1775–7).

The tower is still the most interesting feature, with a stair turret at one corner topped, Bristol-style, with a spirelet (small spire). In the graveyard lie ‘Marian martyrs’ executed at the top of St Michael’s Hill – persecuted for their faith in Queen Mary’s reign (1553–8). The church was damaged during the Bristol Blitz of WW2 war-time bombing raids (1940–1) and not fully restored until 1962. Its congregation dwindled and in 1999 the church was declared redundant. The Diocese of Bristol is actively looking for new users and have also submitted a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund in order to carry out repairs as it's listed on Buildings at Risk Register.

dsc1327_orig.jpg

dsc1322_orig.jpg

dsc1321_orig.jpg

dsc1268_orig.jpg

dsc1271_orig.jpg

dsc1273_orig.jpg

dsc1302_orig.jpg

dsc1305_orig.jpg

dsc1301_orig.jpg

The memorial to the 6th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment which I was very happy to find, as well as seeing my Great Great Grandfathers name on:
dsc1283_orig.jpg

dsc1298_orig.jpg

dsc1296_orig.jpg

A memorial to members of this very parish who fell during WW1:
dsc1306_orig.jpg

dsc1316_orig.jpg

dsc1269_orig.jpg

dsc1319_orig.jpg

dsc1320_orig.jpg

dsc1318_orig.jpg

Thanks for looking.​

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks alright in there, very undamaged!

Good to see that you finally got to the bottom of the long running family rumor as well :thumb

dirge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That is a cracking looking place mate! Glad you finally got in after all the attempts and got some cracking photos!

...now if only I could get in my place I always want to access...