real time web analytics
Report - - St Pauls parish church, july 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Pauls parish church, july 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
HISTORY
Denholme was part of the Chapelry of Thornton in the Parish of Bradford whose records began in 1678. In 1826 the Church of St. Matthew, Wilsden was built and Denholme became part of this new Parish. It became a separate Parish in 1846 when St Paul’s Church was built at Denholme Gate, between Denholme and Denholme Clough. It was to serve both areas and it was thought that they would grow towards each other, with the new building at the heart. But after the building of Denholme Mills by the Fosters, Denholme expanded and left Denholme Clough behind, with the Church in an undeveloped area between. The land for the Church was given by William Buck, one of the largest landowners in the area. The building, which was completed in 1846, was designed by J B Cantrill and is Early English style with a gothic tower. It cost £3,700 which was raised partly by subscription but also by grants from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and the Incorporated and Ripon Diocesan Societies. The east window, of beautiful stained glass, was presented by Mr Jonathan Knowles.

In 1997, soon after the 150th Anniversary, it was found that the ceiling and roof were unsafe. The church closed quickly for repairs and the congregation met, temporarily, in the Mechanics Institute. The repairs needed were found to be extensive and with great reluctance, the building and part of the churchyard were put up for sale. A final Open Air Service of Farewell was held in the new graveyard on Sunday 5th September 1999. After meeting in the temporary premises of the Mechanics Institute, in 2001 the Bradford Diocese purchased a property on Longhouse Lane, a former doctors' surgery. Despite its limitations, the building was lovingly put to use and adapted as a church. The congregation continued to meet there until August 2008 when they found a new home as part of the Shared Church.

So a trip into Yorkshire once more saw us loitering with intent waiting for the main explore of the day , so to pass the time me @LancashireExplorations and @godgp78 set off in search of the blue church (code namez);) otherwise known as st pauls parish .
Now ive seen piks of this all over the shop and it has been done quite a few times but hey ho the main pik I saw was one from 2008 and it was mega clean , all nice and fresh so when I stepped in for the first time and saw the sheer turmoil that this place has suffered I was well gutted what a mess , such disregard for a house of god im not religious but dear me show some respect .
so anyway once again we were mainly exploring and baby sitting Lancashire explorations AGAIN :banghead we found some nice stuff in there is wasn't an amazing explore but that roof tho , I was stood on the balcony at the back where the quire would of probably sat and it kep playing in my THIS IS MY CHURCH THIS IS WHERE I HEAL MY HURTS , FAITHLESS .....o_O
DSC_1429.JPG
DSC_1337.JPG
DSC_1339.JPG
DSC_1354.JPG
DSC_1360.JPG
DSC_1370.JPG
DSC_1375.JPG
DSC_1383.JPG
DSC_1386.JPG
DSC_1388.JPG
DSC_1389.JPG
DSC_1399.JPG