real time web analytics
Report - - ST Peters Church, Bryn, Wigan - October 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ST Peters Church, Bryn, Wigan - October 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
History - Opened in 1961 on the site of the original wooden church built in 1902. The Venerable Archdeacon Arthur White , who had been St Peter's first curate in 1909, laid the foundation stone on 17th September 1960. The new church was consecrated on the 16th August 1961 by the then Bishop of Liverpool, Dr Clifford Martin. The church was closed in 2016 due to the Diocese being unwilling to fund the repairs the building required. The land has been sold to Wigan council and the building is scheduled for demolition in November to be replaced with flats for the rehabilitation of drug addicts.

The Explore - After seeing an article in the local newspaper that this place was due to be demolished, we decided to head over and see if we could gain access. Access was not the easiest to find but pretty straight forward once you've found it. There is evidence of vandalism inside and a lot of the fixtures have been ripped out, but there is a lot of church paraphernalia scattered around the place. Not the most interesting of buildings but nevertheless an enjoyable explore.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Nice to see some new local stuff!
We've found a few potential explores around lancashire/north west that don't seem to have been done yet although nothing that i'd consider really epic. Just involves some research, legwork and a lot of walking round perimeters of stuff trying to find access!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Quite a nice change to see a fairly modern church being demo`d. Some nice bits left there, you certainly found the right things to photograph in this trashed building. Nice window shot too :thumb

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Quite a nice change to see a fairly modern church being demo`d. Some nice bits left there, you certainly found the right things to photograph in this trashed building. Nice window shot too :thumb
Thanks, even though it was a modern building found it surprisingly enjoyable to explore. Did the deaf institute in liverpool same day as well so it was interesting to go from a modern church to an old one.

RJMmcr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
what a stunning building that is, shame it's trashed but a great post nevertheless.

Gabi gabi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello I been here today. I live in this area today been last time this places. Two men's start demolished all building. Later I try making post. I'm very sad because my partner send very broken clock ;( very beautiful. I safe one book meby this wrong but later evrything go to bin. ;(

Gabi gabi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We can go inside this men open evrything and give all time for exploration and making photo. But inside church been very demolished. ;(

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
We can go inside this men open evrything and give all time for exploration and making photo. But inside church been very demolished. ;(
We went back for a second look a couple of weeks ago and it was wide open and completely smashed to pieces. Looks like we got there just in time with the this report.

Who has read this thread (Total: 351) View details