real time web analytics
St. Peter’s orphanage 12/09/19 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rammy99

28DL Member
28DL Member
Please bare with me this is my first exploration upload on here apologies for the photo quality was about half 1 in the morning and only had my phone when driving past it. This has to be one of the most eerie explores I’ve done granted doing it at half one in the morning probably added more to that and with it being a full moon we’ll yeah says it all. This place has quite the history of child abuse and a story is told within some of the graffiti around the place. The building itself has definitely seen better days with the second floor and top floor being virtually impossible to go further than the initial stairs going up, the first staircase I came across was completely destroyed thankfully there was a second more sturdy one.

St Peter's Orphanage for Roman Catholic Boys was established in 1900 at Main Road, Gainford. The purpose-built premises could accommodate 300 boys, aged from 2 to 10 years at their date of admission.

On 30th August, 1901, St Peter's was accredited for use as a Certified School, allowing it to receive boys boarded out by the workhouse authorities, who paid 6s. a week for each child they placed.

At the start of the Second World War, the boys at St Peter's were transferred to the St Mary's Home at Tudhoe, with the Gainford site then being used temporarily to house inmates evacuated from St Aidan's Approved School at Widnes. On 1st April, 1940, St Peter's was itself accredited for use as an Approved School, taking up to 120 Roman Catholic boys aged below their 13th birthday at their date of admission. The School provided its inmates with training in carpentry, building and horticulture. The School was then managed by the Hexham and Newcastle Rescue Society.

In 1973, the establishment became St Peter's Community School — a Community Home with Education (CHE), run in conjunction with Teesside Borough Council.

Due to financial pressures, the School was closed in 1984, with the building and land being sold to a local consortium for £130,000. The purchasers subsequently sold off some of the dwellings and converted one wing into a nursing home for the elderly. From the mid-1990s, however, the main building was left standing empty.

wicksy101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I don't remember half of that graffiti when i went a few months back. I'm also curious as to the child abuse that everybody speaks of. The school was closed for financial reasons nothing to do with abuse like i have been told in the past. The only thing that relates to child abuse is that plans were put forward to turn it into a rehabilitation centre for kiddy fiddlers but it was rejected.

Rammy99

28DL Member
28DL Member
I don't remember half of that graffiti when i went a few months back. I'm also curious as to the child abuse that everybody speaks of. The school was closed for financial reasons nothing to do with abuse like i have been told in the past. The only thing that relates to child abuse is that plans were put forward to turn it into a rehabilitation centre for kiddy fiddlers but it was rejected.

there’s a link to a documentary about it I thought it was all just speculation till I watched that, went back a couple days after posting this to check the sports hall out and it must be a well visited place because there were a few changes then and that was only a day or two later

wicksy101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for that. I think i was getting confused with Silverlands orphanage. Very interesting video though.

Abbie Urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've been here a few times. The school is known locally as the house of horrors. There was allegations of both physical and sexual abuse and being a victorian Roman Catholic School/orphanage the graffiti actually makes sense if you do the digging

Meeeeeeeee

28DL Member
28DL Member
I think this is a documentary on it with someone who experienced the abuse while there

Who has read this thread (Total: 262) View details