real time web analytics
Report - - St Saviour's Church, Bacup - May 19 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Saviour's Church, Bacup - May 19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbandonedTeam

the north
Regular User
Having scouted this beautiful church for a couple years to no success, when a group of friends asked me if I had anything in the Lancashire area, I gave them the pin of this one as 'one that you might as well check.' I never thought I'd be sent a video back of them inside. The following week, I returned and the site was in worse condition than it had been during my previous attempts. What can go through someone's mind to make them destroy a stained glass window is beyond me...

St Saviour's Church

The church was erected in 1865, opened by a celebratory service which representatives of the local Wesleyan, Baptist and Independent churches were present at. The cost of the erection of the church, school and vicarage was borne entirely by Mr. James Maden Holt and amounted, as near as can be ascertained, to £8,000, £2,000 and £1,400 respectively, exclusive of the value of the sites. When the Reverend Eddie Ashworth retired in 1999 the parish became a joint benifice with Holy Trinity Church, Stacksteads. The Church held it's final service in October 2007 and the parish merged with Holy Trinity, Tunstead.

It sucks that the iconic red carpet had gone since the site was visited consistently a few years ago. Also, the stained glass has mostly been boarded up, probably to protect it. This was a sad report to read:
https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/disgraceful-vandalism-seen-bacup-church-16175734

An external that wouldn't be possible anymore, as the small Sunday School building blocks this side of the building.

48138531036_ec08de833d.jpg

Nowadays. Note the locals that joined me on the exploration in the doorway. They spooked me a bit as I was alone when they shouted 'Police' through a gap in a window, but after seeing who it was, they were sound enough.

48138531311_1b498e5a69_b.jpg

Inside the church...for some reason I only took central shots which I couldn't hate myself for more

48138560913_fedcf788e1_b.jpg

48138532201_f806c58249_b.jpg

48138628602_1f513a6405_b.jpg

The wooden ceiling is pretty impressive

48138561738_0b592f89e6_b.jpg

A shot to finish in the Sunday School building, these two pianos weren't even too badly damaged

48138531696_2872bfe3da_b.jpg

Here you can find the link to my documentary styled video of this exploration. We cover the church's past, present and future through cinematics and narration:

Thanks for reading :)

Luke vaughan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Stunning, I think this is one of the churches in Bacup Manchester that's listed as closed and for sale on church of England website

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I fell through the floor in this place years ago! Painful day haha

Metalmonkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice job, enjoyed reading this report and nice pictures and video. Such a shame this great building is left to rot.

Who has read this thread (Total: 167) View details