real time web analytics
Report - - St Thomas Church, Wigan - October 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Thomas Church, Wigan - October 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
'A large Anglican church of 1902-10 by Richard Bassnett Preston of Preston & Vaughan and stained glass by J Powell and Archibald Keightley Nicholson.'

The church was built to replace an older place of worship which dated back to 1839 with funds for the new church coming from 'weekly subscribers of small sums' with the total cost being £13,000.

St Thomas' officially closed after being mothballed for a couple of years with a final service in August 2015. The closure was due to sprialling maintainance costs approaching £1.5 million with services moving over to the nearby All Saints Church.

Wigan has been a bit of a hotspot for derelict churches recently and this one in the Leigh area is quite a nice example of such. Some unexpected artifacts were found inside, including a full bag of weed, a bright green dead parrot, but best of all a nice festering clocktower to climb.

Clocktower with mechanism by Smiths of Derby

Some views over the local area from the top of the tower

Butts Mill is visable on the left with Brooklands Mill in the centre. I guess you're never too far from a textile mill in this part of the country.

Pretty much the only success of the day in Wigan but a pleasant way to spend an hour or so.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
We've literally just been here! Not a massive amount left but what is there is nice. Worth a look. Great photos.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Oh no way haha. You ever have a look at that church in Ince?
It looks well and truly sealed at the min. I pass it every day. Its regularly maintained and has the gardens done every week so not much chance yet.

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Had a look myself, if you can get over all the drug implements, that basement is creepy as hell, needless to say as I was on my own I didn’t get any further than climbing a very narrow spiral staircase with a body shaped blanket at the top!

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Had a look myself, if you can get over all the drug implements, that basement is creepy as hell, needless to say as I was on my own I didn’t get any further than climbing a very narrow spiral staircase with a body shaped blanket at the top!
I a second visit on my own as i was just nipping to re-take 2 or 3 shots, it is very creepy, from the point where we accessed it you have to go right through to the back corner of the basement to get up to the main church, as you say there's a lot of evidence of drug use and rough sleeping so I didn't hang around for long! Did you get up to the clock mechanism? That's the best bit in my opinion.

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 236) View details