real time web analytics
Report - - St Thomas Hospital College Block 9, London - April 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Thomas Hospital College Block 9, London - April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
Well well well, hasn't it been a rather drama filled week in the exploring world, who needs eastenders when you have weeks like this - we got Elwyn whingeing about his missing teeth, fingers getting severed at sevs and then today we've been graced with the despicable antics of some photo stealing, soul selling, silly little egotistical sausage trying to get famous in the papers in order to feed his twisted and distorted self perpetuating ego.
There's no comfort or solace to be found in the cold soulless embrace of the mainstream media ya donkey brained, dicknosed douche bag! I mean there's shooting yourself in the foot and then there's swan diving on your own landmine, this chap appears to have achieved the latter - twat. (squeeze my french)

So i was thinking why don't we all simmer down and read a nice old fashioned report/load of old waffle from myself about a little medical school down in smoggy london, namely block 9 of the st thomas medical college..

The explore -
Been meaning to get down here since i heard about it back in feb but living 2 and a bit hours away just havent made time for it, happened that we were in the area so we gave it a bash. Must admit we hardly orchestrated the stealthiest of access action plans, middle of the day on a weekend in central london is never going to be the ideal time to be trying to getting in somewhere you shouldn't be trying to get into! Unfortunately when we first rocked up there was a lot of builders about unloading a wagon so we decided to pop to a cafe up the way and wait for the builders to take lunch. Upon leaving the till of said cafe i was hit with a sudden wave of dry heaving, sweating and dizziness, i was sure it couldn't be the previous nights hangover... then it hit me like a smoked kipper to the face, the cold hard reality of the fact that i had just coughed up over £15 for two coffees, a chocolate brownie and a slice of carrot cake... Fifteen fucking pounds (squeeze my french), jesus christ at least dick turpin wore a mask when he robbed ya! Wasnt even sure we'd be able to afford to go to st thomas' after that little financial blow! Anyway yeah, got robbed, felt sick, drank coffee, waited, went back, great success, we're in, mooch about, take photos.
We had a wonder around downstairs for a good while, as you do you know, that exploring thing we are all rather fond of, nice decay downstairs, plenty of peely paint to be had and of course the animal organ samples, now don't tell me im not the only one who hasn't thought about having those rats livers away and knocking up a nice rat liver and bacon pate?! plenty of garlic, nice bit of thyme in there, bloody lovely, fat slice of crusty french stick and a bit of marks n sparks caramelised red onion chutney, dont mind if i do! surprisingly enough after the downstairs, the natural progression of the explore then had us making our way upstairs and around the other floors, crazy right?! on one of the staircases i walked up i was greated by a a plugged in ipady tablet type doobry ma thingy showing 4 cctv cameras and a walky talky sat next to it-back down the stairs we go i think! After that we decided we had seen a fair old bit of the main building and wanted to take a look up the tower so set about trying to get up there, could we find a way up? Could we heck, sure there must have been an easier way right under our noses but we could'nt find it for toffee, we ended up squeezing through some barred windows, which definitely almost cost me a nipple i might add! If i ha my nipple pierced it definitely would have gone, also if i had my nipple pierced id be having a very stern word with myself. Once on the roof the tower was fair game so we wasted no time getting up there to pop a cider and take in the view and what a cracking view it is aswell, you must be able to see every lying scumbag in westminster from up there! jokes aside it was a lovely little spot to sit and enjoy a warm cider on a cold day and watch the world go by, very much of an enjoyableness. After that we headed down and out, grinning and laughing as we once again joined the masses of tourists tripping over each other to take the same pictures of big ben, bouncing along the river with that buzz of getting away with a nice interesting little explore in a cool ass location.

bit of history shamelessly coffee and basted from mr slayaaa, thanks dude!

History

The building was part of St Thomas' Hospital which was established in 1173. According to historical records St Thomas's Hospital Medical School was founded in about 1550. It was admitted as a school of the University of London in 1900 but remained a constituent part of St Thomas' Hospital until 1948 when it formally became part of the university. In 1982 it merged with the medical school at Guy's Hospital to form the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals. In turn UMDS was absorbed by King's College London School of Medicine and Dentistry, but the dentists have since been split out into The Dental Institute.
Unlike the hospital which in recent times dropped the possessive "s", the medical school continued with the original spelling.

The building is described as:

Circa 1870 by Henry Currey. Italianate two-storey building with later raised
attic. Main west front shows projecting 6-bay north wing;six bay main block of
wider proportions with tower at south end. Red brick with Portland stone quoins,
band,window dressings and balustraded parapet. Round headed windows in moulded
architraves on first floor of left wing. Main block has paired round headed windows
within larger round arch with light in spandrel. Tower of one tall stage with
deep windows in sunk panel. Stone architrave with keystones rising to cornice
whose long brackets support projecting cast iron balcony. Stone stage above has
hipped lead roof with balustraded turret.

17867963012_c8d5b38e42_b.jpg

17867956802_76857ab861_b.jpg

17871447291_a52b93e5eb_b.jpg

17871404641_0a3d444d30_b.jpg

17683316130_b33ec012ae_b.jpg

17870839215_bbafa3fe43_b.jpg

17248344764_8037d41e8d_b.jpg

17844546616_8c640db943_b.jpg

17844485826_3bace474c7_b.jpg

17871319741_2fe3e08dbf_b.jpg

17683239940_01c6b931ac_b.jpg

17684525039_e494048406_b.jpg

17250327943_422a24ac2d_b.jpg

17683948738_1ae92424d6_b.jpg

17684459699_82ebcca22a_b.jpg

17683376370_8f10fcded1_b.jpg

17844389296_3bf1700b51_b.jpg

17686817360_42d89fc2bb_b.jpg

17871480681_a09228ae4a_b.jpg

17250533573_6ba85dc432_b.jpg

ta, ta, ta,

t'ra t'ra t'ra :cool::D

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Proper stuff! Glad you got to see it! Thought the works would've done a bit more damage but it appears not. Glad you got into the loft! Shame you didn't get into the other one, some weird stuff in there!

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hahahaha cracking report, made me giggle too! As ever you got some awesome pics there too :thumb

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
Proper stuff! Glad you got to see it! Thought the works would've done a bit more damage but it appears not. Glad you got into the loft! Shame you didn't get into the other one, some weird stuff in there!

cheers dude, yeah i dont think we covered all of it, + i got us lost as shit in there as well to be honest and we kept going round in circles, i was paying absolutely no attention when i first got in cus i was hanging out my ass! my batt died sunday, what time did you hang around london till with TR? did you do that thing you were on about doing early doors?? would have been good but was definitely too bladdered for all that, seemed like a great idea at the time!

Bigian88

The Massive Mancunian
28DL Full Member
Nice little read and some great photos buddy.

It's a shame its in London as when I read St.Thomas' and saw the photos I got a little excited but unfortunately this one isnt in the north :(

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
nice pics
can certainly see things are moving along.
anyone know what the plans for it are?
i missed the drama you referred to at the start of your post. someone has obviously been upsetting people. where do i read about that then?

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice pics
can certainly see things are moving along.
anyone know what the plans for it are?
i missed the drama you referred to at the start of your post. someone has obviously been upsetting people. where do i read about that then?

You seriously asking that Question? Farsebook of course! :p

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Honestly can't find it now, all about that Adams bloke. On the official page somewhere.

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
Hot crap it's May isn't it!! My bad this was explored this month, I'll edit the title when I get home on the flaptop

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
I never did see that molecule model thingy. where was that then?

PS its fascinating to see how these things change in a relatively short spell of time. eg there is new graf at the base of the tower

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
I never did see that molecule model thingy. where was that then?

PS its fascinating to see how these things change in a relatively short spell of time. eg there is new graf at the base of the tower

the molecule doobry was in a little storage space above the room thats got the vole thymus in it, literally if you stand in the corridor and look above the doorway youll see it, health and safety regs would require a step ladder but i just climbed the pipes and crawled in :D