real time web analytics
Report - - St. Thomas Hospital (Stockport) May 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Thomas Hospital (Stockport) May 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

StreetDisciple

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Intro

The first explore.

After reading a few reports online and finding myself drawn to the concept of urban exploration, I decided to visit something local to get a feel for it. In a group of 3, we visited St. Thomas hospital in Stockport. Unfortunately when we arrived we didn’t gain access to the main clock tower building due to all the metal fences that were up and the shiny camera in the middle acting as a deterrent but we did get into the building opposite and had a little wander around that.

History

Not too sure what the building at the back was, which was where the explore took place but here’s a bit of background about St. Thomas itself.

St Thomas's, formerly known as Shaw Heath Hospital, closed down more than a decade ago after treating thousands of psychiatric patients over the years.
The derelict building was once a Victorian workhouse known as The Grubber and in 2012 it featured in an episode of paranormal investigation show Most Haunted.
St Thomas's Hospital, once the Stockport Union Workhouse, was erected in 1841 to accommodate up to 690 inmates.
Males lived at the north side and females at the south. Children's quarters and school rooms were located in cross wings at each end of the main block, with the area to the front containing enclosed boys' and girls' exercise yards.

In 1894, the British Medical Journal set up a 'commission' to investigate conditions in provincial workhouses and their infirmaries. On their visit to Stockport, the commission found that due to a trade depression, inmates in the workhouse were 'packed like sardines in a tin'. The management of the hospital appeared to be 'completely without plan or method' and the female wards were 'comfortless and barnlike'. Many wards were so crowded as to present a serious danger in the case of fire. A new infirmary was built in response in 1905 - and the workhouse later became the Shaw Heath Hospital, before becoming St Thomas's.

The hospital finally closed in 2004 and the site acquired by Stockport College.

Although planned for completion in 2011, the buildings remain derelict. It is estimated around 25,000 people passed through the building's doors when it was brutal Victorian workhouse.

The explore

After parking a short distance away and having a little walk around, we gained entry to one of the outer buildings relatively quickly. With only the ground and first floor to explore it didn't take very long and there wasn’t much left as expected but as it was our first explore the excitement was there regardless.

P1030585_zpshcfiqeza.jpg

IMG_20150504_170546_zpsvd1xcfot.jpg

P1030596_zpsrbcefiwd.jpg

P1030612_zpshs2isuxv.jpg

P1030638_zps4zrulijq.jpg

P1030653_zpsj8rmtc16.jpg

P1030621_zpsdh6jzmni.jpg

*Went back a week later to try and get into the main building and was greeted by two guards who asked us to leave*

Thanks for reading, I've also set up an Instagram page to post anything urban exploration related if anyone would like to follow:
@SDUrbex

Bigian88

The Massive Mancunian
28DL Full Member
Wear a dust mask and ignore that camera, I've been there 3 times and not once had any response from it.

It's just a deterrent ;)

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Decent little first outing, looks like you got the hang of doing a report too which many seem to fail at first time. Keep it up, looks like you're from Stockport too, there's a few of us from around those parts.

StreetDisciple

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Decent little first outing, looks like you got the hang of doing a report too which many seem to fail at first time. Keep it up, looks like you're from Stockport too, there's a few of us from around those parts.

Thank you, I'm about a ten minute drive from Stockport, how long have you been doing all this? I've still got the whole city to work my way through!

Bigian88

The Massive Mancunian
28DL Full Member
Can I ask how long you've been doing this for? Any must visit recommended spots in the area you suggest going to?

Around a year and there's quite a bit that's near to us.

Drop me a message with what sort of stuff you'd like to see and I'll help out if I can ;)

Eliot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've been myself twice, they don't make a difference, the workhouse is half covered but its still worth a look back.
Just shite how much destruction seems to have happened to this place

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
A nice start :thumb

There should be more accessible buildings if you poke around further, nothing of beauty, but still some nice things to photograph and pad a report out with. Did the metal fence not flex or lift accidentally on purpose ( no damage please ) ?

The main workhouse, although empty, has some nice features to nerd over and photograph...for further nerdage back at home. I bore most people with the history of places, but once you know a bit about a place, it gives you explore and pics a different dimension.

As mentioned above, don't let the cameras put you off, you were just unlucky. Let's see some more Stocky stuff from you :) ( no smile icon in the smilies )

StreetDisciple

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A nice start :thumb

There should be more accessible buildings if you poke around further, nothing of beauty, but still some nice things to photograph and pad a report out with. Did the metal fence not flex or lift accidentally on purpose ( no damage please ) ?

The main workhouse, although empty, has some nice features to nerd over and photograph...for further nerdage back at home. I bore most people with the history of places, but once you know a bit about a place, it gives you explore and pics a different dimension.

As mentioned above, don't let the cameras put you off, you were just unlucky. Let's see some more Stocky stuff from you :) ( no smile icon in the smilies )

It was possible but with the camera being there and the first time explore nerves of getting in trouble we thought it was best not to risk it

I agree, its nice when you take a moment and realise how much once occurred in the spot you're stood in.

Still early days for me so not got much to share but will definitely be posting a lot more once I get out there :thumb

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Although there's an element of risk-taking needed to get the good/better pictures for a report, you made a good choice and didn't push it.

There's plenty of things to do whether you go up or down the A6 :thumb