Web
Analytics
Report - - Stahlwerk, Bavaria - August 2016 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stahlwerk, Bavaria - August 2016

jST

LLS.
Regular User
Das Stahlwerk aka The Franconian's Steelworks on accounts of him introducing Dr. Howser et al to it a few years ago. Going through a large backlog of old RAWS that I never got round to processing.

Part of our mega continental road trip in August 2016 and an interesting, varied and sometimes tense explore.

We had stayed in the nearby town the night before, consuming their beers and had for some reason forgotten to eat, so we went to bed hungry awaking the next morning in the half darkness to get ourselves onto this site without being seen.

This was the fairly straightforward part and we set about getting our bearings as the sun slowly rose. Picking our way through the half demolished casting halls, we became aware of trucks, cars and motorbikes arriving on site with workers commencing their daily demolition work… we were trapped by workers and had to climb down the outside of one of the old office buildings and escape across the railway, meaning we actually took very few photographs of the lower part of the steel works.

Oh well - back to the car and off up to the higher part of the steelworks where we managed to see the Ice house and compressor hall before heading back to our hotel and gorging ourselves on their free breakfast.

Some photos:

Beet Root

Living life through a pie
28DL Full Member
Nice! I'm back in Garmisch in September (my missus is from there) might check this out.

Beet Root

Living life through a pie
28DL Full Member
Shame that, oh well, on to the next. :thumb

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
I very much enjoyed myself here! Every corner we turned seemed to reveal either have a turbine or monster steam engine..

Looking on google, it seems most of the buildings with interesting stuff inside are still standing actually.

Reactions: jST

jST

LLS.
Regular User
I very much enjoyed myself here! Every corner we turned seemed to reveal either have a turbine or monster steam engine..

Looking on google, it seems most of the buildings with interesting stuff inside are still standing actually.
GMaps is way out of date, just cross referencing buildings from our visit, most of those on the west side of the side were gone when we got there.