real time web analytics
Report - - Stallingbrough batteries | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stallingbrough batteries

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

whittyboy

another yorkshire folk
28DL Full Member
visited here today with Mr Miyagi, quite a nice day for this one and acting on a word of mouth and google earth we found this spot tucked away hidden in a wood near stallingbrough in lincolnshire,
surprisingly the place is still pretty well kept considering its age and prob down to its hidden location.
I quote a piece off the internet that “It’s completely hidden in a small wood, the Ministry of Defence planted a load of trees all around it years ago to obscure it” by all accounts this site housed the largest (heaviest) guns outside Dover. and now the bit of history again down to our good and sometimes trusted friend the internet.

Stallingborough Battery was built as part of the Humber estuary's coastal defence system. The coastal battery opened in 1915 and by February 1916 was equipped with two 6-inch breech-loading Mk. VII guns. The guns were removed in 1919 and the site abandoned in 1926. The battery was reused during the Second World War and fitted with a pair of 4.7-inch quick-firing guns and two searchlights for close defence. Stallingborough was disused sometime between 1943 and 1945.

The emplacements on are all that is left of an anti-aircraft battery. It once had the smaller 3.75″ (iirc) guns as well as the larger 5.25″ guns which sat on the emplacments which are still there. Both sets of guns had ammunition stores, concrete emplacments, command posts (the underground bunker thing), and shared a Radar and Nissen hut style barracking. The stables near the emplacments are the former guard room and ammunition store for the 5.25″ emplacments; behind them, buried under loads of brambles, is a Cold War Royal Observer Core underground monitoring post, these bunkers would have monitored nuclear fallout should the worst happen

this site is across the humber from the site at sunk island and was used in conjunction with this as part of the coastal defence system.
the history on this place is very extensive and i could put loads on but i suggest google it for more info.

DSCF4185.jpg

site looms up at you through the woods

DSCF4186.jpg

DSCF4191.jpg

one of the gun emplacements

DSCF4198.jpg

entrance leading to underground section

DSCF4200.jpg

DSCF4201.jpg

nature is taking over and the ground is coming in now

DSCF4203.jpg

long tunnel ends at a set of heavy metal double doors

DSCF4207.jpg

DSCF4211.jpg

stalagtites was nice and all over every roof joint

DSCF4213.jpg

no way out of these doors, can only imagine what has passed through these over the years

DSCF4216.jpg

another emplacement a bit more overgrown this one

DSCF4218.jpg

underground look out point

DSCF4219.jpg

looking down into the look out point, very deep with water at the bottom

DSCF4223.jpg

looking inside another underground chamber, water was way to deep to wade into

DSCF4225.jpg

tea anyone

DSCF4229.jpg

entrance to emplacment number 3

DSCF4230.jpg

DSCF4226.jpg

DSCF4236.jpg

DSCF4242.jpg

DSCF4246.jpg

can you see how thick the reebars are

DSCF4243.jpg

every where you turn another structure shows itself

DSCF4190.jpg

DSCF4193.jpg

DSCF4224.jpg

and another entrance

i have lots more photos, far to many to put on, i know Mr Miyagi is going to put his on to, which are different to mine so look out for it please.

we could have spent lots more time here just looking round, every turn something new comes into view, all in all a good visit i think:popcorn

karlito

28DL Member
28DL Member
brilliant :-) i have heard a lot about this site, now i just need to find the place..... grand pictures.