real time web analytics
Report - - Stamford Arms, Little Bollington - June 2018 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stamford Arms, Little Bollington - June 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
June 2018

So this one has been on the to do list for a long time and after many failed attempts over the last few years I finally managed to get it done, not much history exists on this place despite it being a popular venue in its heyday. It was last open to customers under the name 'Home' which operated from February 2007 until July 2012 when it suddenly closed, a sign on the door [Photo 3] dated July 2013 suggests that the pub is to reopen following a refurbishment. However this appears to no longer be the case due to several eviction notices placed around the property. That lovely smell of cold hits you the moment you walk in, after years of neglect the pub is in a pretty poor state with damp on every wall and a swimming pool in the cellar.

The pub is currently on the market for £1 Million: http://www.fawleywatsonbooth.com/av...n-home-previously-known-as-stamford-arms.html

GRONK.001.jpeg

[1]

GRONK.002.jpeg

[2]

GRONK.003.jpeg

[3]

GRONK.004.jpeg

[4]

GRONK.005.jpeg

[5]

GRONK.006.jpeg

[6]

GRONK.007.jpeg

[7]

GRONK.008.jpeg

[8]

GRONK.009.jpeg

[9]

GRONK.010.jpeg

[10]

GRONK.011.jpeg

[11]

GRONK.012.jpeg

[12]​

Cheers for looking
Canon EOS 70D 10-18 EFS

Last edited:

Zoemilly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We nearly got caught by security trying to get in here. :( lots of talking alarms and PIRs

fastpug

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Used to go when it was a beefeater 30 years ago sad to see what's happened it was always packed in them days..

C V Bennett

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I felt that I must make it clear that there is plenty of interesting history regarding this public house. My late father Alexander Bennett who was the landlord for many years, had the very first private security company in the UK, set up from these premises after the end of WW2 and also a horse riding school, which gave experienced riders a chance to hack out in the countryside as well , anyway if you need to search more on this information go to Pathe Archives and type his name in.

C V Bennett

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have just read online via the Warrington Guardian, that this public house was sold privately after an auction had taken place in Salford for public houses which have been vacant for some years, so anyway I did wonder who had purchased the premises ? anyhow I do hope they restore the property also surroundings back to their former glory and respect the valuable history it has attached to it many decades ago and maybe turn it into a boutique hotel for paying guests to enjoy the countryside views and easy access to all major road networks.

C V Bennett

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Firstly I will start with saying I am chuffed to bits, seeing it was announced that the premises got sold finally after an auction had taken place in Salford back in September, also was in the Warrington guardian for all to read who have taken an interest in the property in recent years.

Secondly it has already had major ground work under taken with those awful over grown conifers removed after being up rooted, also I hope the drainage system is getting sorted out along with draining the water out of the cellar urgently, which always had shallow stream in it and use to get frogs in it now and again, when I use to reside at the pub in my childhood and it had labyrinth of pipes in the cellar for the bench seating to be heating them underneath, coming from a huge boiler which was heated via coal, wood and old shoes off the rag & bone man, which went in large back burner, which could of been removed by now ?.

Thirdly I saw in the newspaper the new owners wish to work closely with the National Trust and local Parish council and local residents in the area and also are planning a future meeting, to discuss what to do with the buildings, it al sounds really interesting and also could bring plenty of business and expertise to the local economy in the area, in the very near future, anyhow each time I drive past I can clearly see a lot more as been done each month.

Fourthly I would like to see hopefully the outbuildings of the Stamford arms turned into' The Repair shop', like the current television series which is a huge success and also it would create a great deal of interest and restore amazing cherished antiques and could also be filmed there too, and this would help get customers going for beverages in the public house and use the café or restaurant which could get up and running I am confident could be achieved, also could have a section of the other building called 'Liberties of Little Bollington' and sell items made by local talented persons.

( And I would like to mention my late father) paid for the electricity substation connection from the pylon back in the 50's to have electric supplied, instead of just relying on the gas lights in those days and also had all the stain glass windows restored in the 60's, and other things I REMEMBERED there was a petrol pump at the side of the building next to where the outside gents was situates, since be removed and the wrought iron fencing running along Park lane had a herd of goats in it in the late 70's which were sold, to make way for the odd pony to graze in there for a isolation area the same with front stable which was any new horses arriving and had to check they had no viruses which were contagious to the other animals ,which is now part of the ladies toilets and there was a tack room next to that and had the door to the upstairs groom quarters bricked up, and a fire escape was installed around the rear of the premises for access, also the horses stalls were removed for storage space, and were once used as indoor kennels etc, but the stables were kept the same opposite to Stamford farm, situated behind and has had many improvements over the decades.

Finally I would like the main road which is the Lymm road layout changed, to create a roundabout to slow the traffic down so cars etc could pull out of the country lanes special on Park lane also Reddy lane safely, and would make the speed restriction be obeyed which has 40 painted on the tarmac, but drivers do at least 60 or more, so this makes sense to put a roundabout there, in the past there was a convex mirror on the other side of the road on a telegraph pole next the house across the road running along the farm outbuildings, if you were pulling out from the pub carpark to head in the Lymm direction, but that certainly is not enough theses days and needs a rethink of the best way to plan the road layout.

I hope I get the thumbs up off everybody who reads this post, it means a great deal to me and my family legacy and everybody else to enjoy too.

Who has read this thread (Total: 246) View details