real time web analytics
Report - - Standish Hospital October 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Standish Hospital October 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Salmon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This has been done a few times before but this may be a last chance visit so I thought I would post it. The hospital has been sold and when I visited with Clebby work had already started to secure some of the listed buildings.

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co....turned_into_120_new_homes_after_bid_accepted/

History

The former country house was built c1830 as part of Lord Sherborne's estate. It was occupied as a family residence by Richard Potter, father of Beatrice who, with her husband Sidney Webb, was one of the founders of the Fabian Society. In 1914 the house became Standish Red Cross Hospital for sick and wounded soldiers.
From 1922 it was used as a TB sanatorium. As a lot of TB sufferers were children, a schoolroom was built.
After 1948 the hospital was taken over by the Gloucester, Stroud and the Forest Hospital Management Committee, and became a general hospital. It closed in 2004.

The Visit.
Our second visit. I didn't take a camera the first time! There is a security guard and all buildings are alarmed.
The first building we went into was E block. I love this building with its curved glass windows, large airy rooms. balconies and fantastic views. I hope this is one they will keep.
Sorry if this is a bit pic heavy.

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 008.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 012.JPG

All the wards still have curtain rails and patients' lamps.
Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 013.JPG

I love the crazy Elvis room.
Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 016.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 019.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 022.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 023.JPG

Patients' lockers
Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 025.JPG

The police really did use it for training.

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 026.JPG

View attachment 15404

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 029.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 040.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 050.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 039.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 028.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 045.JPG

The Hydrotherapy Pool.
This was paid for by funds raised by the friends of the hospital. It is a lovely peaceful place.

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 054.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 058.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 064.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 071.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 075.JPG

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 082.JPG

The House
We knew we would have to be quick in here but I didn't think it would be quite so eventful.
An open window and we were in. We headed upstairs to get away from the alarms and hoping to work our way down before security came. The servants quarters at the top of the house, later the nurses rooms were totally dark apart from the chinks of daylight showing between the worn floorboards. There were bats in the loft. I aimed my camera into the dark and took a couple of pictures.

A corner cupboard with a candle shelf next to it.
Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 084.JPG

What is left of a fireplace.
Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 085.JPG

Then we heard a dog barking and a woman's voice shouting and realised we had better give ourselves up. We went down to the main hall to wait to be let out.

Standish Hospital and Prinknash Abbey 090.JPG

When the door was unlocked we were greeted by a dog and handler and a couple of police women. We explained what we were doing and after being warned about the dangers of asbestos and trespass we went to the pub.

Last edited:

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Hidden away in the grounds somewhere, it was for the staff. Not a great deal to see but most reports miss it.

t.j

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
hi guys i was there in september but unable to get in gutted would love to go back with others the quard was ok he was telling me nobody in because of the high risks anyway we tried and failed the outside pool is totaly corver,d its next to the top car park on the right if you are thinking of going again would you give me a shout would love to see place again regards trace

Reactions: Emz

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Lol I live about five miles from it.

Not done it. I lost a lot of interest when I found out the plane had been taken and none of my 'exploring' buddies wanted to go somewhere where they might set off an alarm :rolleyes: plus my dad nearly died there about three times so the place does not have many happy memories for me.

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
I went here a year or so back and set an alarm off within about a minute of getting in :(

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
The north end of the big middle building.

Took this about 5 seconds before it started yelling at us.

17017488987_78fa92c8a6_b.jpg

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Hahaha :thumb

So these do actually 'contact the authoritys' as they claim they do once they start yelling? We didn't take the chance and legged it before anyone came.