real time web analytics
Report - - Standish Street Mill and Vyking Mill - Chorley - August 2020 | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Standish Street Mill and Vyking Mill - Chorley - August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jtza

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Very good, there was one of those Hunter Penrose box cameras at Tetrosyl although in far worse condition, didn't think i'd see another so soon - great report that.
Cheers. Wish I had seen that there. In the process of writing Tetrosyl up too!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Cracker of a report. Excellent photos. Some machines I know what they are. Lovely old camera there. Really enjoyed this. :thumb

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Ooh i like this! Great report. Mad seeing one of them cameras so soon after seeing the one at Tetrosyl! Love a good mill.

Calamity Jane

Regular User
News report doesn't say a cause. But an abandoned mill with all that paper work & boxes, 12 engines, what a blaze. Don't understand how or why one person was rescued? Very sus.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
News report doesn't say a cause. But an abandoned mill with all that paper work & boxes, 12 engines, what a blaze. Don't understand how or why one person was rescued? Very sus.
There’s was a homeless guy living in one of the small attached buildings. At a guess more we’re living in the main part. Happened in manchester a couple of years ago too in China town.

Calamity Jane

Regular User
There’s was a homeless guy living in one of the small attached buildings. At a guess more we’re living in the main part. Happened in manchester a couple of years ago too in China town.
Ah cheers @host that makes sense. This country needs to sort out its homeless, it makes me sick, seeing so many places empty and these poor souls sleeping freezing streets. Glad he was ok.

Kat Donahue

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thank you so much for the great photos of the Mill on Standish Street. I am a 40+ year genealogist and have been researching my husband's paternal line. His 2nd Great Grandparents removed to Standish St. (Bldg.#47 Thistleton's on the 1851 Census) from Sligo, Ireland sometime between 1848 and when they were recorded in the 1851 census. Andrew Donahue was a "Hawker of Prints & Checks", a Veteran from his 20+ years of service to the British Army (serving at Gibraltar and Mauritius). His wife, Catherine had 6 known children: Mary, Francis, Hugh, Ellen, Catherine (died on Standish St.-1851) and Philip (my husband's Great Grandfather). The children all worked in the cotton yarn mills from an early age. Their mother died on Standish Street in 1857 and their father followed in 1860. I just discovered the other day that both Andrew and Catherine are buried in Chorley Cemetery, thanks to the info sent by Chorley Council. The eldest sibling, Mary, married Thomas Mitchell and they raised her younger siblings on Standish Street until sometime after the 1861 Census. If you look at the 1846 map of Chorley, you'll see tenement housing on both sides of the street and behind. It's been an adventure tracing this family line and seeing your photos was just so cool! Sorry this is so long....Kindest Regards from America, Kat Donahue