real time web analytics
Report - - Stanford Hall, Nottinghamshire - February 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stanford Hall, Nottinghamshire - February 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Stanford Hall is a large 18th century, grade II listed country house in the UK. Since being used as a private residence the house has had a couple of different uses which have unfortunately removed a lot of the buildings splendour. A number of failed redevelopment projects were started, and recently a planning application has been approved to develop the building into a Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre.

An extension added an impressive Art Deco theatre in the 1930s which still remains in perfect condition. Murals decorate the walls and the ceiling features painted clouds. A Wurlitzer organ is built into the orchestra pit.

1. Rear elevation
stanford-hall-31.jpg

Our visit

Spider Monkey and I had noticed this place was unoccupied so thought we would go and check it out. Although the place has lost a lot of its grandeur over the years and the failed developments have further detracted, the building is still very impressive. The theatre was my personal highlight. Sadly, I understand the theatre will be pulled down.

2. Sunburst into grand room
stanford-hall-5.jpg

3. Fireplace and elegance
stanford-hall-4.jpg

4. More grand rooms
stanford-hall-2.jpg

5. The "Kitkat" room
stanford-hall-6.jpg

6. Top of the stairs
stanford-hall-15.jpg

7. Looking down the stairs
stanford-hall-16.jpg

8. Staircase and fireplace
stanford-hall-3.jpg

9. Theatre lobby
stanford-hall-17.jpg

10. The stunning theatre
stanford-hall-18.jpg

11. In the aisle of the theatre
stanford-hall-19.jpg

12. Looking back
stanford-hall-20.jpg

13. Wurlitzer Organ
stanford-hall-1.jpg

14. Safety curtain with depiction of the hall
stanford-hall-27.jpg

15. Original 1930s Brenkert Master Brenograph projector
stanford-hall-23.jpg

16. Projector detail
stanford-hall-22.jpg

17. Spotlight and record player
stanford-hall-24.jpg

18. Film reel room
stanford-hall-25.jpg

19. Film reels
stanford-hall-26.jpg

20. Entrance hall
stanford-hall-7.jpg

21. Ballroom
stanford-hall-9.jpg

22. Ballroom
stanford-hall-10.jpg

23. Wood panelled room
stanford-hall-8.jpg

24. Bedroom
stanford-hall-14.jpg

25. Bedroom
stanford-hall-13.jpg

26. Grand room upstairs
stanford-hall-21.jpg

27. Marble bathroom
stanford-hall-28.jpg

28. Squash courts
stanford-hall-11.jpg

29. Front of the house
stanford-hall-29.jpg

30. Back of the huge property
stanford-hall-30.jpg

Carter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow, some great photos of a great place. I went to see a play in the theater once, good to see it again, gutted to hear its for the demo :-(

Sid-Oxide

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Don't panic - it's Grad II listed, the redevelopment will be sympathetic and give the old gal a purpose again :)

projectionman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
excellent pictures especially the theatre with wurlitzer organ unfortunatly the projectors have gone and all thats left is a spot light and brenograph effects projector thanks for sharing

philetaylor

28DL Member
28DL Member
Great pictures, I worked on lots of shows in the theatre for many years (from the late 80s until it closed in 2004), the theatre interior specifically forms part of the grade 2* listing so highly unlikely that it will be demolished. My understanding is that many of the CoOp alterations done in the 60s/70s are being removed (including the tacky theatre foyer). The Stanford Hall Users Group are still hopeful that the theatre can be re-opened at some point in the future.

I had heard that the GB Magnus projectors had gone which is a shame though, they were used for film shows up until the early 2000s. I don't suppose you took any pictures backstage?

Phil