real time web analytics
Report - - Stank and Yarlside mines near Barrow in Furness, Jan 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stank and Yarlside mines near Barrow in Furness, Jan 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Keynsham

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The rain stopped for a day so to Yarlside to try to make amends for my previous post.

History:
Thomas Storey and his brother in law, William Boulton formed the Yarlside mining company in 1868 against the advice of experts. On the other side of the hill, the Barrow Haematite Steel Company sank a borehole looking for coal and found a vein of haematite. Their lease dates to 1871.
Yarlside was prone to inrushes of "running sand" ("pissing sand" in some accounts). To deal with the sand and the water they installed two large Hathorn Davey pumping engines at No8 and No11 pits.
High pumping costs, ore with a high phosphorous content and the necessity of paying royalties to two dukes made the mine unprofitable and Sir Thomas (as he then was) wrote rather tactlessly to the agent of the Duke of Buccleuch:

“Dear Mr Wadham,
If you insist on having your pound of flesh, I must make some sacrifice and try to find it for you. - But before I set about it will you kindly tell me whether in your arrangements with the Barrow Co. you see any chance of them making me an offer which I can accept for acquiring my interest - which means the whole - in Yarlside. (handwriting becomes a scrawl)
I really now feel no interest in “future arrangementsâ€￾ in working Yarlside for I am quite disheartened, I have given up all hope that I should ever be successful with it - and heavens! it now owes me £70,000, a large portion of which has been paid to you. This is enough to drive a man mad and yet some Duke cooly demands still more sacrifice at my hands!
If the naked facts were made public it would be a curious comment upon mine royalties.
Yours faithfully, T Storeyâ€￾

Barrow Haematite Steel Co took over the mines in 1892. They had removed the last of the ore by 1898 but kept the pumps running until their Stank mine was exhausted in March 1901.
Stank002_zps2d05adeb.jpg

Engine bed at No8 with the flooded shaft of No11 in the foreground.
Stank003_zpsae994077.jpg

No8 pit had a compound pumping engine with 30" and 60" cylinders.
Stank005_zpsff29a3db.jpg

Stank009_zps23e5395d.jpg

No 11 pit had an engine with 38" and 60" cylinders

Stank011_zps0988a7cd.jpg

square holes for hold-down bolts
Stank014_zps1574d67b.jpg

Cooling pond
Yarlside001_zps20ca9735.jpg

Stank mines.
No 1 pit in the foreground is still standing and grade II listed. The building housed a 40" Cornish engine. No2 on the left was demolished. It was drained by a 72" Cornish engine. No5 in the background up the hill was the next stop. It was the site of a 70" Cornish engine.
Stank018_zpsa56b1b2f.jpg

At No5 pit the engine bed is suspended above the collapsed shaft
Stank027_zpsfd0a741b.jpg

The smithy has planning permission for conversion to a holiday home and has been cleared out. It once housed 6 hearths. No1 engine house in the background.
Stank026_zps51c7bed8.jpg

The lime torching is as good as new.
Stank028_zpsdbd16db6.jpg

Thanks for looking, I hope this is an improvement.