real time web analytics
Report - - Stanley Mill - Stroud - Feb 11 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stanley Mill - Stroud - Feb 11

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kempes

Feckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
Few Pictures of mine from a few weeks back...

What can you say about this Mill, its massive and absolutely amazing inside.

The machines on the second floor are just fantastic, im fairly sure they are still run.
The top floor looks to have had a lot of resent restoration work done and the building as a whole was im virtually perfect condition given its age.

Bit of History,

Stanley Mill is sited on the River Frome between Stroud and Stonehouse. Built in 1813, this unusual five-storey brick building was the largest mill in Gloucestershire.
Owned by a cloth-manufacturing partnership, Maclean, Stephens and Company, the mill complex could accommodate up to 900 workers.
With its highly-decorative iron-frame, Stanley Mill was designed as one of the first fire-proof mills in England. Regarded as the outstanding mill in the Stroudwater region, it was one of the first to adopt new machinery and the factory system.

The Site is an English Heritage Site although the owner want to convert the current Building into flats, EH are
working with them to ensure the buildings future...

Parts of the mill are actually in daily use and house an office on the main stairways so i don't think you could call it derelict, but with development looming god knows how they will screw it up. It was a good think on your feet challenge to crack but so worth a few pics...

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

Some of the running machines...
IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Building is not fully explored as there is a basement floor with totally different iron work and possibly more machines which i have found pictures of from a while back on the net but with no apparent way in so far.

Last edited: