real time web analytics
Report - - Stanley Tools, Sheffield - March 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stanley Tools, Sheffield - March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
History

Stanley was, and still to this day, remains known as a manufacturer reputable for having been the source of consistent innovation, and the producer of fine quality tools. The Stanley knife exemplifies this reputation, as the name has become the defining label for the well recognised blade shape that it is associated with. Stanley first emerged in 1843, as a small shop which was established by Frederick Trent Stanley, in Connecticut, New Britain. Stanley, however, didn't first open its doors in Sheffield until around 1937, after taking over J.A. Chapman of Sheffield. In the early 1970s, this particular site was apparently the target of a payroll robbery, committed by a small gang posing as decorators. Regardless of this incident, Stanley continued to operate in Sheffield up until 2008; after which the site closed after 71 years of production. Although the site is largely vacant, sections of the site remain active; seemingly used as a small storage facility, and a location that is used for Airsoft.

Our Version of Events

Straight after work we were determined to get some exploration done, so despite the fading daylight hours we had a wander over to Stanley Tools. When we arrived there was some activity occurring in one of the sections of the building that is used for storage purposes, so we waited tolerantly until they were done. It wasn't long until we were inside ourselves. The site is largely empty, although there are a few bits and bobs worth seeking out. The whole place gets a bit samey after a while though. We also met the random man who seems to pop up in many reports of this place. But, he was a nice enough chap.

1: Stanley Tools Rooftop View

34891065604_1eca4b0d54_b.jpg

2: Main Yard (with some fine looking trees)

34891067854_8a9b8a8b92_b.jpg

3: Stanley Logo

34891067454_0cf612d364_b.jpg

4: Famous World Map

34891067264_5167ce0ac8_b.jpg

5: Sheep

34891066404_6d2060c804_b.jpg

6: Stanley Labels

34891066294_01f57e4ba3_b.jpg

7: Rotating Door Entrance

34891066744_8ed7609ffb_b.jpg

8: The Bridge Between Buildings

34891065924_32ddb82646_b.jpg

Last edited:

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey nice report, great pics, last time we went down there some old git chucked us off :mad

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
We bumped into him too, but he was alright with us. Seemed interested that we were taking photographs.

was probably more interested in your camera/value and how much he could get for it :p:

was being used as an "airsoft" venue when i went a few year back... only picture i actually took from the entire place that i liked was one from the roof (which says a lot about the interior tbh).

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
was probably more interested in your camera/value and how much he could get for it :p:

was being used as an "airsoft" venue when i went a few year back... only picture i actually took from the entire place that i liked was one from the roof (which says a lot about the interior tbh).

Haha :P Yeah, it was a bit disappointing overall. I expected to find some interesting bits and bobs. We did find some tools, catalogues and old bits of machinery, but the vast majority has been ripped out - presumably by the airsoft folk.

UrbexNinja

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ahh Morris he's an absolute legend! Let us go in but someone called the police, but he kindly let us slip away before we got caught!

JuJu

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been a few times and never been chucked off, enjoyed looking at the graff though :)

icespeckledhen

28DL Member
28DL Member
I have used Stanley tools ever since I started my carpentry and joinery apprenticeship in 1962. Its very sad to see these pictures of Stanley but thanks for sharing.
I note that Cabalou says he found some old catalogues. I would be interested in seeing any old catalogues, preferably from the 1940's and 1950's. They seem very scarce
thanks