real time web analytics
Report - - Stanton Iron Works live Mk III | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stanton Iron Works live Mk III

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tony S

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There have been a few threads on this. To be honest this is part of a project I’m putting together for an engineering site. But I think you’ll enjoy it.

The ones of you that got in to the plant after closure all missed this bit, mainly because it was on its way to Spain by then.

Iron once produced needs to be corrected to the right temperature for casting. This is done in the induction furnace.

The heart of it is this, the inductor, it’s like a transformer but the secondary winding is molten iron.

CMP42.gif

Lets see the “beast” in action.

First it has to be charged with molten iron.

View attachment 483173

View attachment 483176

The lid would then be closed by being swung in to position and lowered by the wish-bone as you can see.

View attachment 483179

With the lid closed the iron can be heated to the temperature we needed for casting. When at the required temperature is reached the power is lowered to about .6MW to keep it nice and warm.

To get iron out the whole furnace is tilted towards the pouring spout. It’s a bit like a teapot spout where the iron is drawn off under the slag. This also shows the “beast” in all its glory.

View attachment 483181

Samples have to be taken for analysis. Anyone fancy the job?

View attachment 483183

View attachment 483188

View attachment 483190

To follow this I’m putting together an article on the Cupola furnace. Don’t hold you’re breath I don’t move fast.

Last edited: