real time web analytics
Report - - Stanton Ironworks, Ilkeston - September '20 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stanton Ironworks, Ilkeston - September '20

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PaulNichols

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Myself and a friend had a trip to this spot last week, he's been there many times but it was my first visit and I certainly wasn't disappointed! This is also my first report here so thanks for looking. :)

This area has a long history of iron production with evidence of medieval bloom furnaces being discovered at nearby Stanley Grange. From 1788, a small blast furnace was operated in the area between Stanton by Dale and Stanton Abbey and while only in operation for 15 years this furnace laid the foundation for what was to become the areas largest industry. In its heyday, Stanton Ironworks was the largest employer in Ilkeston with around 7000 workers being based at the site.

What we now know as Stanton ironworks can trace its origins back to 1846, when Benjamin Smith brought three blast furnaces into operation on a site by the Nutbrook Canal. The Crompton family took ownership of this site around 1965, replacing his original three furnaces with five new ones at which point the site became known as 'Old Works'. The Franco-Prussian War of 1870 created a huge demand for iron, and the works expanded rapidly with the construction of new furnaces and foundries (the New Works) alongside the Erewash Canal in the early 1870s. By the early 20th century the business was named The Stanton Ironworks Company Ltd.

Stewarts and Lloyds Ltd took over the company in 1960, merging it with the Stavely Iron and Chemical Company Ltd to form Staveley and Staveley. In 1967, Stewarts and Lloyds became part of the nationalised British Steel Corporation, its major subsidiary – Stanton and Staveley – was also incorporated.

Over the years the company has produced a vast range of products including spun iron pipes, pig iron, pre-stressed concrete pipes, street furniture, lighting columns, and cast-iron tunnel segments used in the construction of the London Underground and the Mersey Tunnel. Other by-products included chemicals, coke oven gas, bitumen and road stone. During the First World War Stanton produced a large number of shell casings, while in the Second World War production was extended to include bomb casings, gun barrels, and components for concrete air raid shelters.

The years following the war saw Stanton’s fortunes fluctuate with nationalisation, privatisation and re-nationalisation taking place. During the early 1980s Stanton became part of the French Pont-a-Mouson Group and later part of Saint Gobain.

Production ground to a halt in May 2007, and the site is now in a state of part-demolition but with its history very much evident. A truly fascinating site, and a fascinating window into our industrial past.

PMN_4202-X4.jpg

PMN_4222-X4.jpg

PMN_4236-X4.jpg

PMN_4244-X4.jpg

PMN_4254-X4.jpg

PMN_4257-X4.jpg

PMN_4264-X4.jpg

PMN_4270-X4.jpg

PMN_4280-X4.jpg

PMN_4283-X4.jpg

PMN_4287-X4.jpg

PMN_4293-X4.jpg

PMN_4303-X4.jpg

PMN_4320-X4.jpg

PMN_4322-X4.jpg

PMN_4324-X4.jpg

PMN_4327-X4.jpg

PMN_4332-X4.jpg

PMN_4350-X4.jpg

PMN_4354-X4.jpg

PMN_4376-X4.jpg

PMN_4393-X4.jpg

PMN_4407-X4.jpg

PMN_4416-X4.png

PMN_4429-X4.jpg

PMN_4436-X4.jpg

PMN_4444-X4.jpg

PMN_4451-X4.jpg

PMN_4480-X4.jpg

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Quality 1st report. Welcome to 28dl. Great report, great snaps. All good, keep em coming.

Just one wee thing, leave the entry photos out for various reasons :thumb

PaulNichols

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks! I didn't include the entry photo to show how we entered, I included it for the irony of the way the 'IN' sign was spun in our direction. That's just the photojournalist in me coming out but I'll delete it!

PaulNichols

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well, I would delete it if the option to edit the post hadn't disappeared. I'll leave that to mods/admin if they feel it needs removing.