real time web analytics
Report - - Staplefield Operational Base, Sussex - January 2019 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Staplefield Operational Base, Sussex - January 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

muttman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Staplefield Operational Base

History
One of Britain's best-kept secrets of World War II was the Home Guard Auxiliary Units, which used the status of the Home Guard as a cover for their real activities.
When a patrol was formed, it had its own underground hideout known as an Operational Base. These were normally built by Canadian solders about to fly home thus adding to the secrecy. I won’t bore you but Subbrit has loads of info.

The Explore
First off, I don’t know why this place is called Staplefield as it’s nowhere near Staplefield, it’s in Ansty, Sussex.

My god this place is well hidden, after over an hour of walking around woodland myself and 3 mates were about to give up. With only 1 tiny forest section left we thought we might as well give it a try then go to the pub.
Bingo – there next to a tiny almost dried up pond we found the entrance. Moods had changed from pissed off to mega excited!!!

How the Jerries would have ever found this place I don’t know!

You can either climb down the normal entrance hidden in the bushes or shuffle down the surprisingly spacious escape tunnel.
Inside are the original bunk-beds, doors and coat hooks, albeit in quite a bad state.

Apologies for the camera phone photos. This was a kinda impromptu visit (we’d wasted way too much time on the Shipley ROC behind the A24 Mc’Donalds). I’m planning to revisit this summer with the dslr.

Fun day in the sun had by all though…:D

2019-1a.jpg

The Escape Tunnel, bigger than it looks. (bugger to find)

2019-2a.jpg

Inside the tunnel.

2019-3a.jpg

Main Entrance.

2019-4a.jpg

2019-5a.jpg

Remains on the bunk beds (really sorry for the poor quality photos :()

2019-6a.jpg

2019-7a.jpg

Original coat hooks.
2019-8a.jpg

2019-9a.jpg
2019-10a.jpg

Tunnel from within.

2019-11a.jpg

2019-12a.jpg

The gatekeeper.

Last edited:

muttman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good effort, I like this kinda stuff, thanks for sharing :thumb

Thanks. It never ceases to amaze me we have all this hidden history all around us.

Sadly I don't know how much longer this place is going to be around. There's a hole in the roof and some pretty big cracks forming.

the126

Reckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
Well done! Good to see it is still standing. Was there any water on the floor inside?

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Not seen this one for a while now. I really like this, one of very few left in the UK. Nice!

Who has read this thread (Total: 362) View details