real time web analytics
Report - - Star Crossing Halt, Hendre, Aug 19 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Star Crossing Halt, Hendre, Aug 19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Well i was not sure if i should upload this as i found it in a state of improvement from the last report in 08, but i think a few will find it interesting.
History
Star Crossing halt opened in November of 1914 On the Mold and Denbigh Junction Railway’s (M&DJR) line that linked the two North Wales towns of Mold and Denbigh. The station even though being very remote 2 miles from the closest village at the time survived until the lines closure in 1962.
Explore
I found it in a state i didn't expect one bit, but i found it a pleasant surprise the station had been cleaned up and a sign placed displaying the halts orignal name, access was easy but it still seemed like it was on private property, but not really sure, anyway onto the pictures.

1570125182143.png
This is what i expected, a photo by Paul Wright from http://disused-stations.org.uk All credit for this picture goes to him.

and this is what it was really like, the grass cut a bench and sign placed, and the original hut painted

and thats it, sorry if you expected anymore, I also visited a very confusing lot of abandoned trains around the corner, suspect a report on that when i get around to it

Thanks for viewing:thumb

tigger

mog
Regular User
and thats it, sorry if you expected anymore, I also visited a very confusing lot of abandoned trains around the corner, suspect a report on that when i get around to it

Presumably the short stretch of narrow guage abd even shorter piece of standard guage which was for a while the playground of a local chap's son?
There's another engine fairly close to those but not on the old trackbed as it wasn't a motive engine.

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Presumably the short stretch of narrow guage abd even shorter piece of standard guage which was for a while the playground of a local chap's son?
There's another engine fairly close to those but not on the old trackbed as it wasn't a motive engine.
Maybe, but I'd accept there being standard gauge there since it was once a sg line, but I've always been confused why there is a narrow gauge stuff, also for a bonus points the levers still work at changing the points, if that's the case there isn't a real explanation for the standard gauge loco, it's still a bit of a mystery, I'll get my pics of that up soon

tigger

mog
Regular User
The standard guage industrial shunter is there for the same reason as the narrow guage stuff. None of it is originally from that railway line (though the standard guage shunter was from the chemical factory down the road IIRC). Bloke was hoping to build things up, something stopped that happening, his son used the narrow guage stuff a bit, it got left alone, it started getting robbed (hence the writing and phone number),...there you go, potted history!

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
The standard guage industrial shunter is there for the same reason as the narrow guage stuff. None of it is originally from that railway line (though the standard guage shunter was from the chemical factory down the road IIRC). Bloke was hoping to build things up, something stopped that happening, his son used the narrow guage stuff a bit, it got left alone, it started getting robbed (hence the writing and phone number),...there you go, potted history!
Guess so, so you mean a guy was planning to open it as a heritage railway, which makes sense. Thanks for the info, I couldn't find much except a small bit of info on the sg engine from a geograph pic description