real time web analytics
Report - - Station Hotel, Ayr - June 2018 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Station Hotel, Ayr - June 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with prettyvacant71 on a recent road trip around Scotland. We had quite a list put together thinking we would only get a few done and end up looking for back-ups after failing a few, but we managed to tick all but two off of the list which was lucky.

She has wanted to see this place ever since @AndyK posted it so we made the effort to get there. Upon arrival we were absolutely gutted to see the place sealed up tight and metal sheets over the entire ground floor windows and doors, as well as those next to the external fire escape stairs. We patiently waited for all the pissheads to stumble off home after kicking out time and with a bit of luck we managed to sneak in under the cover of darkness. The lack of light inside was nearly the death of me. We went upstairs and as I approached a door I felt like I was walking on a giant bag of cornflakes. Dry rot! I stumbled about like Bambi on ice with a nose full of ketamine in a desperate attempt to stop myself going through the floor. Looking back there a few hours later in daylight I saw just how lucky I had been because I had left 5 holes in the floor. Close one!

The hotel, which is attached to Ayr railway station, was originally opened by the Glasgow and South Western Railway in June 1866 and become part of the British Transport Hotels (BTH) at Nationalisation. It was sold by BTH in October 1951 and has changed ownership a number of times, having been owned by Stakis Hotels, Quality, and Swallow Hotels.

The Station Hotel is currently the oldest and most famous hotel in Ayr. The hotel has retained almost all of its original features inside and out. The hotel started to turn away customers in 2014 and closed around 2015. After suffering neglect for some time beforehand, the building is now deteriorating; the railway station have had to take action to safeguard their customers from falling debris.

It seems that the hotel has changed hands yet again - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/new-owners-take-control-ayrs-12656205

InGneU0l.jpg

rrX1Pill.jpg

Z0ZAqS1l.jpg

ztBfzbJl.jpg

o9vctlgl.jpg

aWL9pTpl.jpg

hC6wfvpl.jpg

k815Mu0l.jpg

mi6c6nIl.jpg

7tlDS7dl.jpg

iICCVSJl.jpg

SOqnV3Vl.jpg

g0a2PlTl.jpg

GVFpRvHl.jpg

yFLqaLxl.jpg

sI77fPcl.jpg

0V9ZRwPl.jpg

fPop87Dl.jpg

dc6XaIEl.jpg

2mlJPOMl.jpg

Xw6SB0ul.jpg

hAa54b7l.jpg

xwArlIXl.jpg

UxFToWGl.jpg

0UEBKh7l.jpg

15xIPl4l.jpg

IZvL0O9l.jpg

ylHtOFIl.jpg

Thanks for looking!

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good report on remarkably well preserved building, though it won't stay in that state for too long unless a new use can be found for it, a lot of deserted buildings get smashed up/spray painted over time.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking report indeed just wish I had more time to visit these places.

Polominto73

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Passed this yesterday plans are ongoing to start demolition as part of train station had to be closed by looks of things it won't be too long before it's gone .sad

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Passed this yesterday plans are ongoing to start demolition as part of train station had to be closed by looks of things it won't be too long before it's gone .sad
Oh really? I new work was happening, didn’t know demolition was on the cards. Weeks after we visited the council started doing an external inspection and it was going to cause a lot of disruption to both the railway and the roads but I hadn’t heard that they were ripping it down.

Polominto73

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was in ayr today working and spoke to locals who have started a petition to save it from demolition apparently it is now in control of council as owners haven't addressed the state and upkeep of it and being classed as at risk :( shame to see it in its present state