real time web analytics
Steel Works - Charleroi Belgium Sept 2016 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Steel Works - Charleroi Belgium Sept 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Nate

UrbexN8
Banned
Cant really find much info on this place, well not in english any way so here is a bit in english that i could find.

Forges de la Providence was a Belgian steel producing company based in the Hainaut region around Charleroi Founded as Société Anonyme des laminoirs, forges, fonderies et usines de la Providence the company had three steel production sites at Marchienne-au-Pont in Belgium, and Réhon and Hautmont in France.

JC%20Chair-2_zpsf1x0ac6p.jpg

JC%20Chair-41_zpsxwrz5esz.jpg

The company was independent until 1966 when it became part of the Coclerill-Ougrée, briefly being absorbed into Thy-Marcinelle et Monceau before becoming part of Cockeril-Sambre.

In the 1980s the French steel plants closed, the Belgian plant continued to operate until 2008, becoming part of the Duferco group as Carsid at the beginngin of the 21st century. Coke and blast furnace production CARSID plant closed in 2008 due to an economic downturn, and did not restart - the plant was closed in 2012.
The plant at Marchienne-au-Pont operated for over 100 years until in 2001 the plant began to be run down. The coking plant was no longer to be maintained, and the possibility of closure of blast furnace 4 also raised. Usinor entered discussions with the industrial group Duferco with a view to continue hot steel production at the plant.

In 2001 Carsid was created from the Charleroi plant at the same as the creation of Arcelor, and became part of the Duferco group. In 2006/7 the plant became part of a joint venture with Novolipetsk Steel: CARSID-SIF. In 2007 the blast furnace No.4 was recommissioned after a 3 month refurbishment process, in 2008 the sites coking plant was closed; the plant now being supplied through a strategic arrangement with Novolipetsk (Russia). Duferco used Carsid to supply slab to its other Belgian steelmaking works,Duferco La Louviere and Duferco Clabecq.

Blast furnace production was stopped in Nov. 2008 due to low economic demand (see 2007-2012 global economic crisis) Production at the plant was halted for three years; by 2011 the joint venture between NLMK and Duferco had ended, with NLMK acquiring the joint venture's flat production at Clabeque and La Louviere and other sites for $600 million, supplied by its own blast furnaces; Duferco continued to seek a partner or buyer for Carsid.

In Mar. 2012 the Duferco announced that work at the blast furnace would not restart. Approximately 1000 people were to be made redundant by the end of 2012.

THE EXPLORE

So this trip to France and Belgium with @AdeleJane was very short planned with just a few locations that we wanted to go at for the weekend one of which police pull guns on us which all got a bit hairy for a while.

Thursday night we set of from Birmingham to Dover and then overnight through France and Belgium and arrived in Charleroi early morning.

If you have been to the industrial town of Charleroi you will know of the mases of disused factories, power stations and steel plants there is so much there to see its an industrial dream there. Some places that look derelict are actually still in use and some places that are used are derelict it is quite hard to tell in that town sometimes.

First stop was this steel works which I literally looked on google earth and street view and noticed it looked a bit run down so took a quick look. It was long and we were inside this place wandering around through the layers. Within minutes we were covered in sh*t from the 2 inch caking of dirt and dust but that didn't put us off one bit and was a good relaxed explore. All in all i think we were in here for about an hour as we had other places to move on to, there was another part of this site on the other side of the river which we never had a look at which I believe is the blast furnace, maybe next time as if I'm in the town again i would certainly go back to do the bits we missed.

This was the first time I had used my own camera and actually only the 4th time ever using a DSLR so the pictures are not the greatest.

On with the photos

JC%20Chair-9_zpsdbg08ks7.jpg

JC%20Chair-11_zpstwdqjctp.jpg

JC%20Chair-6_zps4utomitw.jpg

JC%20Chair-17_zpsorildjlu.jpg

JC%20Chair-18_zps0v4qzmqp.jpg

JC%20Chair-20_zpsed6lrpna.jpg

JC%20Chair-23_zps6gyj8ix0.jpg

JC%20Chair-25_zpsafu8ge9g.jpg

JC%20Chair-26_zpsiywnkaas.jpg

JC%20Chair-29_zpstopf5s7b.jpg

JC%20Chair-32_zpsxi1abt73.jpg