Web
Analytics
Report - - Steep House (Potters Mansion) -Crowborough Late 2012 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Steep House (Potters Mansion) -Crowborough Late 2012

Portgas

28DL Member
28DL Member
Late last yeah I headed over to Steep House (Just off of Steep Road) This place was pretty much at the end of it's life, all of the floors were rotten and had lots of signs of weathering. I would have loved to see this building in its prime as it has some wonderful architecture. Sadly there are plans to demolish this place soon.

This house in Crowborough, Sussex, was built in 1904 and designed (supposedly) by an architect named Hugh Jokin. It was owned by the Walford family. James Walford ran a shipbuilding business and was a potter and painter and appears to have published a book of orchid paintings in 1972, with additional prints of his wife's orchid paintings available for auction. His wife Muriel Walford grew the orchids that her husband painted, in the extensive grounds of the house. James Walford died 7 or 8 years ago and Muriel went into a care home, so the house has been empty ever since. Muriel died on 12th January 2011 at the fantastic old age of 104.
It's such a shame to what this place has become.
29zrnnq.jpg

2dbnkvo.jpg

2a7cuo9.jpg

6gwkli.jpg

2vaf39f.jpg

2em34p3.jpg

2qvwh7c.jpg

11cgpxe.jpg

2rmsd1i.jpg

The roof has lots of signs of vandalism
2rwq43d.jpg

Thanks

-Portgas

Portgas

28DL Member
28DL Member
Whoa, now that is impressive, i'm so surprised how quickly they got the place back up to that condition!!! considering how badly the place was run down, HEY atleast they didnt tear the place down and turn it into flats!!!!!

zombizza

Pink
Regular User
Wow. I don't think I've seen a place come back from so trashed like this one. It's nice to see a success story. I wonder if it will ever get into this state again in it's future history. I wonder if the buyer will ever find out and see the pics on here as well.

OPEN&ENTER

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow! I did some work there last year, and the place was still fucked! I found the grounds very interesting, some good finds out there under the brambles. That is a great save though..