real time web analytics
Report - - Steetley and Tunstall - North East Jan 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Steetley and Tunstall - North East Jan 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

emotive69

cloak of invisibility
28DL Full Member
At a loose end decided to take a new urbex friend out to see the local sites , and started on the one that got me into the whole thing back in 1998 when i first visited it - Steetley Magnasite works in Hartlepool , back in its day a major industrial player in the North East. Now a former shadow of its old self after years of pillaging, looting and general metal collecting :) it is still has character and for the newbie is still an awesome place and a nice easy urbex intro.

The view from the beach of the water pipe / peir which has now been split apart to stop the locals falling off !
steetley001.jpg

The graffiti has certainly improved in the area too !

steetley1.jpg

steetley8.jpg

some general shots of the old girl ..

steetley2.jpg

steetley3.jpg

steetley4.jpg

steetley5.jpg

steetley6.jpg

steetley7.jpg

and then it was onto Tunstall Court , the old home of the Grey family ( famous north east ship builders ) , last time here it was being breeze blocked up but thought it worth a looksie anyways , the blocking up was good - but not that good ;)

tunstall1.jpg

there was a fire last year which destroyed the old ballroom ..

tunstall2.jpg

inside much the same as ever but more rubbish !

tunstall3.jpg

tunstall4.jpg

tunstall5.jpg

the old indoor swimming pool probably the cleanest bit of the old building left !

tunstall6.jpg

After that it was off to the old cerebos salt works in Greatham, but alas the fences are up and the workmen are in so that one looks like its had its days .... Was a good day out in the very fresh air tho :thumb

emotive69 and yet-to-be-named

emotive69

cloak of invisibility
28DL Full Member
29th May 2023 and many years on ( about 14 years ) from the Steetley visits which kicked off my love of Urbex and finding 28DL I have returned to the site to get a photo of the current state of affairs ! Its now called Marine point and pretty much the whole site has been turned into a housing estate. The once towering chimney long gone and all the lovely green tanks demolished , the last part of the site now being built on is in the foreground of this shot , for context the railway is on the far right of the shot and the pier on the left in the distance. The chimney would have been about a quarter mile away in the centre and the two first tanks of liquid would have been where the work is now taking place ( u can see the last shot of steetley in the above report with the blue/green tank and chimney taken from a similar position ) The pier is still almost intact bar the piece taken out to stop people using it ! and the beach is still fairly picturesque and nice for a dog walk !

Emotive :)

Steetley Magnesite Hartlepool now Marine Point 2023
North East Wedding Commercial and Landscape Photographer
http://www.andrew-davies.com
http://www.andrew-davies.com

steetley marine point.jpg

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
That’s incredible to see it like that. Got a similar feeling when I went back to west park to do the mortuary and saw how much had been redeveloped. Nice mate!