real time web analytics
Report - - Stewartby Brickworks – Bedfordshire – May 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stewartby Brickworks – Bedfordshire – May 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member

The history

The town takes its name from the Stewart family, whose famous son Sir Malcolm Stewart who bought the London Brick Company in the town in the 1920s. The site closed in 2008 as the owners,Hanson, cannot meet UK limits for sulphur dioxide emissions, the four chimneys remaining were due to be demolished upon closure but these have since been listed for preservation of Bedfordshire's brick-related history. and will remain.

Stewartby brickworks was home to the world’s biggest kiln and produced 18 million bricks at the height of production.

BJ Forder & Son opened the first brickworks in Wootton Pillinge in 1897.

Wootton Pillinge was renamed Stewartby in 1937 in recognition of the Stewart family who had been instrumental in developing the brickworks.

The firm became London Brick Company and Forders Limited in 1926, and shortened to London Brick Company in 1936.

At the height of the industry’s production there were 167 brick chimneys in the Marston Vale.

In the 1970s Bedfordshire produced 20% of England’s bricks.

At its peak London Brick Company had its own ambulance and fire crews, a horticultural department and a photographic department, as well as its own swimming pool inside the factory, and ran a number of sports clubs.

More than £1 million was spent on Stewartby Brickworks in 2005-7 in an attempt to reducesulphur dioxideemissions.

The factory used LowerOxford Clay, which is made up of 5% seaweed, formed 150 million years ago when it was on the sea bed. This removed the need to add coal to the fire, as the organic material burned.

The Explore

I visited this one whilst I was doing RAE Bedford and as they were close to each other it made sense :)

It was fairly easy to get into the vast site and actually made for a very nice afternoon stroll.

The site as you would expect is littered with broken bricks but this makes for an interesting landscape. The 4 tall chimneys loom over the site and are breathtakingly large, the rest of the site has quickly been vandalised and fallen into disrepair. I really enjoyed the explore here with plenty to see and plenty to take pics of.

Please enjoy the pics

DSC_0644_zpswnybooc2.jpg

DSC_0636_zpsjjffmdrj.jpg

DSC_0632_zpskzhwvw6e.jpg

DSC_0628_zpsqqr5ewhn.jpg

DSC_0623_zpsjgs8ptk5.jpg

DSC_0621_zpss409zsef.jpg

DSC_0614_zpsep9wocke.jpg

DSC_0611_zpsehthvsut.jpg

DSC_0608_zpsnqymlez6.jpg

DSC_0607_zpsiocvdr1l.jpg

DSC_0606_zps0hq3xku9.jpg

DSC_0605_zpsomeu4klq.jpg

DSC_0599_zps2sj8mncq.jpg

DSC_0595_zpsxq7lrmet.jpg

DSC_0593_zpsz7mjq0qy.jpg

DSC_0589_zpszribjxjk.jpg

DSC_0569_zpsul5gs3ku.jpg

DSC_0568_zpsrgo7e2kf.jpg

DSC_0555_zpsh3wnbly4.jpg

DSC_0552_zpsjrhytm3r.jpg

DSC_0544_zpso6sor4uf.jpg

DSC_0537_zps9ekp3ecb.jpg

DSC_0531_zpsipv9vq0r.jpg

Bremner

28DL Member
28DL Member
I worked on a machine a few years ago made by Kershaw in America, it was a high output ballast cleaner. When we decided it was never going to work in the UK we left it in stewartby sidings to go rusty until it was cut up a few years back.

Useless info I know......sorry lol

Last edited by a moderator: