real time web analytics
Report - - Stewartby Brickworks, Bedfordshire May 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stewartby Brickworks, Bedfordshire May 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Callum24

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi people, I’ve been a member for years but never had the balls to actually post something so this is my first post so no pisstaking please!! I know this place has already been reported loads but I thought the place looked great so luckily me an my friend was working relatively close so we had a drive over. I don’t know anything about this place so I just copied some info from wiki sorry!
The Visit
We drove straight to the main gate to see if there was any sort of security as it was day time and straight away we saw the old gate house being used as a security hut with a car parked next to it so we had to find another way in. The fence surrounding the whole site looks easy to get over but being in the work van we didn’t fancy getting caught so we parked in what looked like an old lorry entrance to the site further down the road. The rail line splits the site so we stayed on the one side away from security. This side was still brilliant to walk around even with a lot of fire damage which is a shame. Took a fair few photos which you probably all seen anyway but oh well! Enjoy the photos, thanks!

The History
Originally two Wootton farming settlements, Wootton Pillinge and neighbouring Wootton Broadmead, the Wootton Pillinge LBC village was in 1936 renamed Stewartby, taking its new name from the Stewart family, directors of London Brick Company since 1900. The family's son Sir Malcolm Stewart had amalgamated LBC with the Forders Company in the village in the 1920s.
Stewartby was the largest brickworks in terms of output in the world. The site closed in 2008 as the owners, Hanson’s could not meet UK limits for the sulphur dioxide emissions. The four chimneys remaining were due to be demolished upon closure but these have since been listed for preservation of Bedfordshire's brick-related history and will remain.

Last edited:

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Hello Calum I look forward to viewing your report , looks like your write up is very good just need to stick “Bedfordshire “ in the title and click the insert all photo button .

thanks d n b

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Thanks think I’ve fixed it?
Yes mate a valid report on the place if you don’t mind just attaching a month of visit into the title I think that’s a 10/10 first attempt and a valid update on the place :thumb For example February2021

tigger

mog
Regular User
Decent first effort and at least you had the balls to admit you just copied the history!

Before you hit the button to post it's always worth using the preview button to check that everything is how you want it - you'll see if the ptotos are in place, a bit of space between them, if there are any duplicates and that you've included the 'required' information.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Not bad that, its a great place this Iv been more times than I care to remember. I think its days must be numbered now though

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Mmmmm LBC, clever business model: dig out clay to make bricks, charge to dump rubbish in hole, cap hole and use the free gas to fire the next load of bricks.... rince and repeat.

Nice report by the way

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Good report. You've taken the tips on board and now the report is spot on. Well done on finally posting, and a warm welcome to the world of posting. Hope now this 1st one is out the way, you continue to post. Happy exploring.:thumb